1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jodie Foster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

About Jodie's speech ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jan/14/genius-jodie-foster-speech-golden-globes

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I've seen you mention this before. My experience is the opposite.

My liberal contemporaries are uniformly pro-gay rights, and several otherwise conservative members of my parents' generation were, also.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What about your African-American friends?

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Why does it surprise you? You're a conservative who supports gay rights.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sure.

It doesn't surprise me much. But, if there is a breakdown, it's not along conservative/liberal lines as much as it is among age, religion and race.

So, when folks tell me "all their liberal friends support gay marriage" I'm assuming they are either overlooking the views of their African-American friends, or don't have any.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Sorry, I thought you were mocking the parsing of friends I'd already done, not seriously asking for more. FWIW, they support gay rights, too. Of course, most of my African-American friends are married to Jews, so I don't know whether they're demographically representative.

I agree that age is a strong predictor of someone's stance on this issue. I disagree that liberal/conservative identification isn't.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Among my friends, race is probably the clearest dividing line on that issue. That even includes my Nassau buddy Drip.

Draft saved Draft deleted