1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jodie Foster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 14, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I loved it. Sure, she rambled, but this looked as heartfelt as anything you'll see out of Hollywood.

The video: http://now.msn.com/jodie-foster-speech-at-the-golden-globe-confuses-viewers

The transcript: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/moviesnow/la-et-mn-golden-globes-2013-transcript-of-jodie-fosters-speech-20130113,0,82500.story

But controversial, I guess, out there among tweeps and such.

"I’m just going to put it out there, right? Loud and proud, right? So I’m going to need your support on this.

"I am single. Yes I am, I am single. No, I’m kidding — but I mean I’m not really kidding, but I’m kind of kidding. I mean, thank you for the enthusiasm. Can I get a wolf whistle or something? [Audio is silent for seven seconds] ... be a big coming-out speech tonight because I already did my coming out about a thousand years ago back in the Stone Age, in those very quaint days when a fragile young girl would open up to trusted friends and family and co-workers and then gradually, proudly to everyone who knew her, to everyone she actually met. But now I’m told, apparently that every celebrity is expected to honor the details of their private life with a press conference, a fragrance and a prime-time reality show.

"You know, you guys might be surprised, but I am not Honey Boo Boo Child. No, I’m sorry, that’s just not me. It never was and it never will be."

She did go on to talk glowingly about her ex-partner and their kids. And she said something that's being written up as a hint of retirement, but that isn't what I heard.

Anyway ... hell of a woman.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So she's an asexual lesbian?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always had a thing for her (since the Partridge Family) Smart, passionate, no bullshit and just seems like she'd be a hell of a lot of fun. Damn cute too.

Agreed. Hell of a Woman.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

She was, what, 8 in the Patridge Family?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hey, it's not like I wasn't a kid at the time too.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

How many people do any more really good work after getting a "lifetime achievement award"? Discuss.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Globe_Cecil_B._DeMille_Award#Honorees

Plenty. The ones that jump out at me are Paul Newman in 1984, Clint Eastwood in 1988 and Jack Nicholson in 1999.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Straight-from-the-heart quote:

"There's no way I could ever stand here without acknowledging one of the deepest loves of my life,” Foster said. “My heroic co-parent, my ex-partner in love but righteous soul sister in life, my confessor, ski buddy, consiglieri, most beloved BFF of 20 years, Cydney Bernard."

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

In this era, many feel that being gay is cool. I'm not against anyone who is gay. It is not a lifestyle that I agree with. I question why people find it necessary to point out their sexual preference as if it is a badge of honor. Jodie Foster is a great talent. She has long been one of my favorites in La La Land. I wonder why did she select an awards ceremony to announce something that many already knew?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe to help refute the idea that it's a "lifestyle."

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Well if that's what she wanted to do, she failed in my opinion. Personally, I could care less what her twist is. What Jodie Foster does in her world has no impact in mine. It was a freaking awards show. Did you really tune in to hear about her lifestyle?

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

+1 on your first six sentences, Drip. The seventh, meh, I'm no fan of those self-congratulafests. High school writ large.

Draft saved Draft deleted