1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jocketty out in St. Louis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Oct 3, 2007.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Love La Russa? Hardly. Tolerate is more like it. La Russa ain't ever getting the love in the Lou.

2. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Jocketty and the Phillies are a good fit. Only problem is the Phillies' farm system is awful and Jocketty doesn't draft well.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Along with Duncan, isn't the trainer - Barry Weinberg or something - part of the package too?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How do you know George can still function?
    I highly doubt George is making too many moves anymore, if he was Torre probably would have been fired when the Yankees were tied for last place and 14 1/2 games out of first.
    I don't know who is running the Yankees these days, but I highly doubt it is Steinbrenner.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

No way. Not in a million years, unless McLane gets a lobotomy. Isn't he Steinbrennerian in his involvement?

I also get a kick out of anyone wanting Girardi to manage anything other than a Ruby Tuesday's. He's got the people skills of a cactus plant and most of the pitchers he used in Florida last year have been diagnosed this year with an exploding shoulder. He's a train wreck. But he's good at kissing the right ass, so somehow people believe he's the next great manager. What a load of shit.

6. boots

boots New Member

Wow that's a lot of information on Girardi. Did you cover him while he was with the Marlins?

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Someone in HR told him George was okely-dokely.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Um, you don't mean swapping Garry "Shoot the Bird" "I Ain't Departin' " Templeton for future HOFer Ozzie Smith in part, do you? Whitey's deal made the 1980s Cards, just as dealing Tommy Herr for Tom Brunansky in 1988 undid it.

9. boots

boots New Member

Tommy Herr wore out his welcome. I kind of forgot about that one.

10. I'd like to see Terry Pendleton get a shot at the Cards' managing job if La Russa decides not to re-sign.

Read on Bernie Miklasz's forum that things were so bad between Luhnow and Jocketty that Bernie was afraid to approach Luhnow in the press box for fear he would get Luhnow in trouble with "Jocketty's spies." Jocketty was apparently pretty pissed not that power was taken from him, but that Luhnow got promoted for a job Jocketty thought should have gone to one of his longtime friends. Apparently, ever since then, sometime in '06, things haven't been pretty in the Redbird front office.

Draft saved Draft deleted