1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jobs to hold a writer over?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

60 hours of college credit to sub in my state.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Barnes and Noble or Borders often look for book sellers. You can't help but be inspired hanging around books all day.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

If you think you'll be able to get regular freelance work (and thus keep writing enough), I'd look for a part-time job that's more about people than it is about writing. Substitute teaching, maybe, or bartending. You'll see things and meet people that'll help you as a reporter, moreso than writing ad copy or something.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

That actually sounds like a great idea, there. Hopefully there are not only book stores looking for full-timers, but also offer benes and will allow me to have a flexible schedule.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

I would say to look for freelance writing or editing, since this is something which would provide the most help for your career.

Failing that, I might try bartending or food serving, because those are areas where there is a need for people and schedules can be flexible.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Anything as long as it helps you pay the bills in the meantime.

I've been a call center representative (inbound, so I wasn't calling you trying to sell you shit you didn't want), a researcher at a publishing company and a customer service guy. Perhaps you could work as a temp, help out with catering, bartend, work at a book store, etc.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I'd rather work at McDonald's than be a substitute teacher. Kids are unmerciful on subs.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The only subs who get any respect in high school are coaches of the school's teams.

9. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

This user is currently ignored.

10. KG

KG Active Member

I really don't like admitting this openly on the board because of the razzing, but I deliver papers at night for extra money. The hours usually never conflict with your other work and it's pretty much a thinkless job once you are familiar with your route.

I like it because it's my time to jam my music, listen to a book on CD, think by myself or whatever I may choose. Plus I'm bringing home an extra $350 a week by doing it, which really helps with the bills. I'd say I put in about 25 hours a week there. That's including doing all the inserts, folding and bagging. I think at some places that is done for you and you just deliver. I'm not sure where you live or what the pay for delivering would be like there, but I thought I'd offer it as a suggestion.

I don't let anyone I work with there know I write though. I keep my work lives separate from one another.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Your paper allows you to hold both job, KG? That surprises me, based on past places I've worked.

12. KG

KG Active Member

I don't deliver for the same one I write for, but yes they let me do it. Plus I'm not a full-time employee of either.

Draft saved Draft deleted