1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jobs to hold a writer over?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PhilaYank36, Jan 2, 2008.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Because this job market is incredibly tough for anyone nowadays, some people (especially those anywhere between a few months and two-three years out of college) are going to find themselves frozen out of a F/T writing/editing gig. And this doesn't necessarily mean only sports; the whole of newspapers, too. This is my case. My biggest question is this: what kinds of full-time jobs could one take that would still keep one's writing skills fresh while also allowing to continue with a P/T writing job? Any suggestions?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Herman Melville's first job was as a cabin boy on a ship. Might try that.

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

[​IMG]

Not exactly what I had in mind...

4. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Taco Bell or Micky D's. Seriously. If you are going to PT at night, do something that you can blow off in an instant. If you quit of get fired from Micky Ds because of a no show, then no one will know.

To not be sarcastic, get a job at a bar or a retail outlet or even an office job somewhere for 30 hours a week.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My sarcastic point, too.

You don't have to have a "writing job" to tide you over. Any job will do. Write on your down time.

Plenty of great writers have done the same.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Pollster?

7. johnnychoice

johnnychoice New Member

Substitute teacher?

8. Well played, sir.

9. eroc

eroc New Member

I would love to be a substitute teacher while I look for a F/T writing gig. Maybe I will look into that. Do you need to take any special courses or will they hire anyone?

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Most places are so desperate for subs that they'll take anyone with a college degree who says they'll start working toward the certification process in their state.

Your mileage will vary.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

A lot of places don't even require a college degree let alone someone workng toward a certifcate. Most states have separate certificates for substitutes, just a background check required. I know Indiana required two years of college for a sub certficate, and they didn't care what your major was.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Who says American education is in trouble?

Draft saved Draft deleted