1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jobs in SC, GA, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by danharris09, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

#Humblebrag

The best way to get jobs is to know people. I've never been hired without knowing someone where I was eventually hired. Twitter is great for this. Also this message board is a great place for networking in a respectful manner. I wouldn't be at my current job without this board. It's great.

Also, don't limit yourself to three states. I moved 1500 miles to my current job and I love experiencing a new part of the country. You can always move back home later if that's what your heart says.

2. danharris09

danharris09 New Member

Thanks yall... I just want to get my name out there. And the only reason I want to stay in this area is because I take care of my parents and I do not want to move very far away from them so that if they do need me, I am close by. I do have 4 months until I graduate, I just am determined to not be one of those guys fresh out of college who doesnt have a job, I want to have something lined up for when I graduate!

3. danharris09

danharris09 New Member

Awesome, thank you so much for the advice! I played basketball for 8 years (3 middle school, 4 high school, and 1 in college) so I think that is the route I want to go. While interning, I have learned how to cover sports I knew nothing about (soccer, softball, golf, ect.) so that has helped tremendously but I think football and basketball are my niche because I have played and watched them my entire life.

4. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

I'm not much older than the OP, but I've been working in the biz for two years now, and I got my first job through the adviser at my student paper. I don't know if it's essential (got my second gig all on my lonesome), but it definitely gets your foot in the door.

Once you get that foot in the door, it's a good idea to make yourself known -- I was hired as a part-time page designer at a major daily, and then got to full time by taking on some shifts as an online producer. I know a lot of people coming out of school have struggled to find full-time work, so let them know you'll do whatever is needed.

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Strongly consider sports information. Get as much experience as you can in that area right now. It's an industry that may evolve much more favorably than newspapers. Check the job board at CoSIDA, search for smaller schools, and see if you can get your foot in the door. Plus, working sports info may assist in a later transition to marketing jobs.

6. slc10

slc10 Member

Dan I suggest you also open a linkedin account. You can make some connections who have connections. Also keep a blog so you can stay in shape and have a place for current works.

Draft saved Draft deleted