1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jobs in SC, GA, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by danharris09, Dec 19, 2012.

1. danharris09

danharris09 New Member

Does anybody know about any entry level sports reporter positions opening in South Carolina, North Carolina, or Georgia? I will be graduating college in April and am looking for work. I have 1 year of experience at my school newspaper and one year at the local newspaper in Greenwood, South Carolina. Scott Chancey, my editor wrote me an awesome reference letter that I am hoping makes my resume stand out. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Dare I say it?

YOU'RE HIRED!!!!!!!!!!

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Budweiser, please. (You'll learn the in-jokes on this board here soon enough.)

Okay, here's the real answer to your question: Journalism Jobs is a great place to look. Keep an eye out at APSE (although they haven't updated jobs since October for some strange reason), Media Bistro, Indeed... all the major companies have their own jobs boards as well, including Gannett, Lee, McClatchy and Tribune.

Good luck to ya. :)

4. doctorx

doctorx Member

Community Newspapers, Inc., based in Athens, Ga., and NOT to be confused with the dreaded CNHI, owns a number of weeklies in the states you mention.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Don't go into this dead-end work..

BLOGS!

6. danharris09

danharris09 New Member

Actually my editor, Scott Chancey, is an APSE award winning editor and writer and he said in his reference letter that he thinks I am better at my age then he was (which meant a lot to me.) Thanks for the advice!

7. danharris09

danharris09 New Member

I know now

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Join mediabistro.com (it's free). It works better for larger cities, but you can search by state for openings, and it won't just be newspapers.

9. danharris09

danharris09 New Member

Awesome! Thank you for the advice!

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

All I can say is keep checking job boards and apply for as many things as interest you. Be realistic in your approach, but don't shy away from things, either.

Job hunting is sooooo much easier now than it was when I graduated 20-something years ago before the internet age. Back then it really was a challenge to find out about openings and it cost real money to send hard copy resumes and clips to apply and real money to make long-distance phone calls to follow up. Of course, as a result of that, there were fewer people competing for jobs.

I heard of one guy who sent out more than 100 resumes a day. That struck me as overkill, as I like to personalize my cover letter and put some work into picking out what clips to send. But the point is it's real easy now to apply to places in large quantities and hope something will stick.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Another thought.......

Back in the day, conventional wisdom was everyone had to go start someplace small and work their way up the ladder. My first job was at a 19,000 AM daily and that was considered pretty good. A lot of my classmates started at community weeklies, so I felt fortunate.

Now, I see larger papers, wire services, web sites and other places hiring people pretty young who don't have much professional experience.

So it helps to define what you are interested in doing. Do you want to cover high school and youth sports? Is your goal to cover college and pro sports? Do you want to design and edit pages? Do you love doing stats? Do you want to work with video or audio? Are you a generalist or do you have one specific sport that you can't get enough and would love to work with 24/7? Answering these questions can guide your search.

Draft saved Draft deleted