1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jobs below the fold in the NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This past spring, my friends and I had a lengthy discussion/debate about whose obituaries would be above the fold on A1 of the New York Times. Steve Jobs was one of the names we tossed out there as a possibility, though not a slam dunk.

He was below the fold today.

Thoughts on that play?

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

In my copy of today's NYT, Jobs' obit began in the upper right corner of A1...which I think was the right call.

What was in the upper right column of your copy instead?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Top of the page in the version on Newseum:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

His photo was below the fold but the obit is on the top of the page going across two columns at least in the late edition on newseum. Not sure if an early edition had a different play.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've grown to love Apple, but it's not like it was the freaking president that died. I don't have an issue with where they put it.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Personally I think his death has been over played. Not trying to be insensitive but this has gotten the same level coverage as Gerald Ford's death from what I have seen and I think it's gotten even more of a reaction from the public. Great person but many people I know are treating this has some great tragedy. Sorry but the people overseas who die fighting for our country means more to me than an innovator.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Steve Jobs very likely had a greater impact on the world as we know it today than Gerald Ford. Not really seeing the "overplaying" arguments at all.

8. I've seen this argument a lot today from friends of mine and I want to smack them upside the head - no offense intended KYSW, I'd never smack you upside the head, you're good people. I keep telling them there are very few people in the history of the world who have had an impact on how the world actually works. Steve Jobs is one of them. That's why I think his passing is important and merits whatever coverage it gets.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Europe tries to stave off a reckoning."

Oops.

"Europe Tries To Stave Off A Reckoning."

I don't think it's like a president died. I just was interested to see how they played it. I think you have to be a pretty big deal to get above-the-fold A1 when you die, and it was a conversation I recently had with people. And I believe the actual conversation was, "Other than presidents ..."

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Your edition sounds like the placement was subject to very early deadlines -- I think the news moved after 7 p.m Eastern Time, which has to be pretty close to the time they would just punt for the national edition. Their late edition, the one on New York newsstands, is the "official" record for evaluations like this. And we can easily see the Europe story just moved down the page.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Obviously soldiers are a different category and not really an apt comparison. But I don't know how you can underplay the effect of Steve Jobs' products on everyday lives and entire industries.

Jobs also died fairly young and, though everyone knew he was sick, I don't think anyone expected it this soon. That brings more of a visceral reaction and a bump in coverage.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Here's another question - and I apologize if this is a d_b - did anyone's paper place the Steve Jobs story inside the A section instead of on A1?

Draft saved Draft deleted