1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joba's mother...meth dealer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, May 4, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — The mother of New York Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain has been arrested on charges of selling methamphetamine to an undercover police officer in February.

Jacqueline Standley was arrested at her apartment Saturday night, Lincoln Police Capt. David Beggs said Monday.

Beggs said she sold 1 gram of a substance believed to be meth to an officer for $110 on Feb. 11. The substance was confirmed as meth at the state laboratory.

The 44-year-old Standley was charged Monday with delivery of an exceptionally hazardous drug, a felony. Her bail was set at $5,000 and she was assigned a public defender, whose name was not on her jail record.

Last month, Chamberlain pleaded guilty to drunken driving and was given nine months probation and a $400 fine for his October arrest.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Why was she just arrested if this happened in February? And does her son not have enough money to hire a lawyer so she doesn't have to be assigned a public defender?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe they're estranged?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe. Just sounds like a sad story.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

GTFO before you ever consider posting a pic! Trust me.

6. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Joba's mom is an interesting person. When Joba first got called up, we had a story almost every night about him on our nightly news. About two weeks after they started, Joba's mom called, livid that we acted "like Joba only had one parent." I happened to be the person who answered the phone when all the crazies called and this was no exception.

According to her, Joba wasn't actually raised by his father, who is pretty famous in Lincoln. She said Harlan wasn't actually ever there for her or Joba and never even paid child support. To be honest, she sounded pretty strung out and cried during the entire conversation. When I got off the phone with her and passed along my notes to the assistant news director, he said she'd had some problems before and that it had come up during a previous interview with Harlan. It is a pretty sad story and not the way anyone wants to see Joba's name in the news in Lincoln, especially after his DUI.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It may be a case of, and I'm just speculating, Joba being aware that his mother'd go through money fast if she was given any substantial amount.
    So he sort of limited her, in an attempt to avoid a negative situation.
    My experience with drug addicts (and I'm not saying she's one) is that they go through money quickly in order to keep the buzz going.
    Meth, crack and these types of drugs are the exact type that drive through one's wallet.
    Even if you are manufacturing and selling it.

Unlike, say, marijuana or alcohol.

I'm just speculating.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Your speculation has a sound basis. A well-known example, Josh Hamilton (a recovering addict) has the Rangers give his per diem money to Jerry Narron's brother so Josh's not holding lots of cash.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

The NY Daily News had an interesting story a few Sundays ago about Joba's too-rapid rise to fame and the strain it has put on his already dysfunctional relationship with his parents. I'll see if the Googles have it.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Joba is pitching tonight like he is on meth- 1st inning 4 batters - Yankees down 4- 0

Suzyn Waldman doing her best to excuse Joba's performance on story about his mother.

She sounds like she is going to cry.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

OH MY GOD OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE EVER SEEN JOBA CHAMBERLAIN'S MOM IS SELLING METH RIGHT NEXT TO ME!!! OH MY GOD!!! JOBA CHAMBERLAIN'S MOM IS IN GEORGE STEINBRENNER'S LUXURY BOX AND SHE IS SELLING METH!!!!

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There is a rumor that Joba's mom got the Boss and Bob Shepard hooked on Meth which is why you no longer see them at the stadium.

Draft saved Draft deleted