1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joba Chamberlin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Aug 23, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

gossage.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think they were talking about tradeable prospects. The Yankees still don't have any position players nearly ready to bring up, which is why Wilson Betemit is there now. They can plug him just about anywhere in the infield and, presumably, he'll play third base for them next season.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

If Wilson Betemit is the Yankees third baseman next season they are in major trouble.

They have NO position player prospects in the minors at the moment and anyone who thinks Shelley Duncan is anything more than a flash in the pan hasn't paid attention to his 6 years minor league career.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But his brother and father are in the big leagues ...

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hey, heck of a thread going here. This is the reason why I go to this page.

Spnited, you could also say two HOF players, three players who will be on the HOF ballot and receive substancial votes and one very good middle releiver.

Five of them may have their numbers retired. I would say at three will (Bernie, Jeter and Rivera) and two may (Pettitte and Posada).

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Don't forget about Mussina.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Interesting numbers for Posada. How many more years does he have to play to get serious HOF consideration? And consider this year he'll add almost 20HR 100 RBI and a .320+ avg. He's ahead of Fisk as a hitter at the same stage of their careers, but he's not the defensive catcher that Carlton was.

Code:
     Sim  Player              From  To Yrs   G    AB    R    H   2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB   SO    BA   OBP   SLG   SB   CS OPS+ 
    +---++-------------------+---------+--+----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+----+----+----+-----+-----+-----+----+---+----+
          Jorge Posada        1995-2006 12 1288  4308  653 1163 262   7 198  771  692 1041  .270  .375  .472   14  18  122
     917* Carlton Fisk        1969-1982 13 1309  4674  737 1313 236  36 183  678  473  685  .281  .354  .464   81  30  123

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He'll need to play as long as Fisk, maybe a year or two less. His rings will help him out, but he's far from a lock right now.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Posada will never come close to the Hall of Fame.
    And, 93, the Yankees retire numbers like the rest of us go out to the supermarket. Retiring a number means shit anymore with the Yankees.

And, for the third time, a great core of players who came through their system... but 6 of 25 is not "largely home-grown talent" because that same core (except for mediocre Mendoza) hasn't won a World Series since 2000.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Like Munson and Fisk, Posada will suffer from playing in I-Rod's shadow. (Hey, two Pudges!) Also, Cooperstown is stingy when it comes to catchers.

I think Bernie Williams is the other most likely HOF candidate. Some of his numbers rank with other Yankees in the Hall.

Pettitte's out -- never won a Cy young.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jeter and Rivera in the Hall .. forget about the rest of them...good-to-very-good players, nothing more.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Pettitte is out, but don't get me started on why that's a completely stupid reason...

Draft saved Draft deleted