1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job shadows...do you bother?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Apr 16, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

That's awesome Baron...and yes, all my best ones have been athletes I've covered as well. One went on to J-School, but I don't know what happened with her beyond that.

2. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I've worked at the same place for nearly seven years, and I cannot recall even one high school job shadow for our newsroom. Not sure if we're not open to it or if the school isn't.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

We always have them around it seems...1) our paper is open to it and 2) the local high schools seem to all be requiring it toward graduation these days.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I had one once that was a really good kid. By the end of the shift the entire staff was busting his chops and he was like one of the gang. Ended up offering him some high school stringer work, which he accepted, and now he is on the staff at his college newspaper covering sports. I think it all depends on the kid. If you have a dud kid the entire experience will be worthless. If you have a good kid that wants to learn it can be a great experience for both of you.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The kid probably wanted to shadow a TV guy.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've only had one kid come in for job shadowing. But he came in on a Wednesday during the spring, when there was absolutely noting local going on. So he got to see me paste up a page full of AP and bowling results. I figure he left assuming the job was incredibly boring.

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

When I was in newspaper, I had similar experiences. Like some of the others, the athletes seemed to get the most, and I even had a couple of guys end up doing agate on Friday and Saturday nights. Some of the best shadows, though, were middle school-age kids. Those were the most rewarding ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted