1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job seeking and your health

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They would have to prove it.

2. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Telling them sparks a series of questions you may not be prepared to answer and explain. You can try to give them every assurance possible about your health and how treatable this form of cancer is, but the Big C will always be the Big C for a reason. At its core, this is a personal matter for you and your family, not an employer.

Every place I've ever worked has a probation period. If you choose to disclose your health within that time frame, and for some reason you're terminated, then you might have an argument a lawyer will make on your behalf. But as of right now, I say tell them nothing. If they do love you and don't discriminate against health conditions, then they'll treat you with kid gloves -- and that can be more annoying than anything.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, unemployed people should take a shot and sabotaging their job chances to see what happens.

There are federal laws against having to divulge personal health information.

Hell, if you play it right you can make them think you have another interview already scheduled.

If they ask if you can come next Friday to interview say that you already have a commitment for that date and ask if you can do it the following Wednesday or whenever.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

If you feel it's going to effect your job performance in any way, you should disclose those concerns during the interview process, even if they are minor concerns such as missing the occasional day at work to receive treatment.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, why would you do that?

Is the interviewee going to acknowledge that they are considering furloughs for the next period or say that they probably will have worse health insurance the next year or that you may be switched to second shift without notice?

Get the job then work it out.

6. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

No, I did not. Once again, you have your facts twisted.

I've seen this happen with a non-health issue. Someone interviewed, got hired, and only then was a major issue disclosed. Too late to fix it.

Many places ask if an applicant needs any type of accommodation. I would assume that needing a later start date would be an accommodation.

Also, to help the reading-impaired who refuse to scroll back to one of the original questions, it was:

7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Interesting counterpoint. But that was my point. If someone wants to play the same way as the companies, then that person should keep everything a secret. If someone wants to see if there's still human treatment out there, then providing some information at the start would be the way to go.

Frankly, this is one of these types of discussions that will fail here. It already is going off the tracks. Many people are unable or unwilling to see shades of gray in a discussion like this one.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Is one ever obligated to disclose the nature of a medical condition?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you feel like you have a good relationship with the person doing the hiring and/or figure they will find out through friends or family, sure you might as well be open.

But if you are interviewing with some folks you don't know and tell them you need to miss time for cancer treatment, you will not get the job.

So don't tell. That's not wrong if you plan to do the very best job you can once you get the job.

There is nothing shady, gray, weasely or dishonest about that.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No, and that is a matter of law. At the very extreme reaches of the discussion, this is debatable -- when Steve Jobs has been through the stages of his illness, there have been questions about Apple's legal obligation to disclose information that might affect the share price. But aside from a situation like that, there is no obligation to disclose.

The garbage about being a "weasel" is completely misleading, bringing in considerations and questions that don't matter.

11. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

You guys need to read better. The point is: Do you want to act like a company, keeping everything a secret and only disclosing when necessary? I guarantee the rest of the staff, especially if it's a small place, is going to wonder if someone is hired and the start date is delayed.

If you think those questions don't matter, then you are likely wrong. As I said, some places ask directly if an accommodation is needed. If you say no, knowing the answer is yes, then you could be off to a bad start.

Tell you what: I'll scratch the word "weasel" and replace it with something else if that will improve the comprehension ability. But I doubt it will, for reasons already described.

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

If you miss time, then you have to provide some proof. The laws have changed recently on the specifics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.