1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job search kind of sucks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MidwestSportsGuy, Apr 13, 2008.

1. A basic question about the madness that is the search for a new job.

I've often heard that spring, specifically April and May, is the ideal time for journalists on the move. Something about budgets spiking in the spring and allowing papers to fill or create new positions. Basically, I've been at a 20,000-circ paper for 2 1/2 years, and while I'm not desperate to leave (yet), I am beyond ready.

Anyone know why the sports openings have been almost nonexistent? Don't get me wrong, postings offering the treat of working in a two-person sweatshop with 186 high schools in the coverage area — and design work fully part of the gig — for $12,500 a year are splendid, but there has to be better. Right? And they soon will start rolling into J Jobs? I know the nature of the biz is changing and papers are downsizing, but this is a little absurd. Or is it normal?

Thoughts ...

2. Sports openings are nonexistent for the same reason that many newspaper writing/editing jobs are nonexistent. Positions aren't being filled, and newspapers are using attrition as a form of downsizing. With all the layoffs in the biz, this can't come as a surprise to you.

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Also, don't count on the postings at journalismjobs.com. Most of the good gig never get advertised. Target the papers you want to work at, get on their radar screen, keep in touch. Be the person they think of when they do have an opening, not one of the hordes responding to an ad.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

Times stink, no question. When you become desperate I have a few ideas.

1) Websites. Apply to them. They seem to be hiring.
    2) Part time in big cities. Some of the bigger papers use part-timers to cover high schools. It's how I broke in. I ate Ramen noodles for 9 months but got a full time job at a smaller metro.
    3) Hello Rivals! Freelance while you wait. Get some clips out there in bigger forums (not this one) and it'll show your drive.
    4) Starbucks. You want foam with that?

Good luck!

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

$12,500 a year isn't a job. It's indentured servitude.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back to your
    hometown

7. lono

lono Active Member

I've heard that somewhere, Tom.

8. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I mentioned this before, but I'll do it again. I read a few weeks ago that Mizzou had record turnout in terms of recruiters looking for new blood at a job fair on campus. There was a story that quoted the folks doing the hiring. The common theme was that they were looking for young folks to replace the high-salaried people sent packing in recent months. They're probably keen on finding people trained for the new age of the business, too.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nope. that one's mine.

10. lono

lono Active Member

That's your position, eh? Won't back down?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i turned that phrase when i was eight years old and running with a dime in my hand.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Just runnin' down a dream back then, eh?

Draft saved Draft deleted