1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job search help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bucknutty, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Hey everyone,

So the girlfriend and I are getting serious, and we're talking about moving somewhere together. She's a special ed teacher and has little worries about finding jobs in any major area. I, on the other hand...well, you know.

Henyway, we're trying to pick areas where I might be able to move with the hopes of landing a job down the road. This might be a dumb question, but what cities are good cities for journalists looking for work? Do they even exist?

Any suggestions the peanut gallery can provide will be greatly appreciated and repaid in beer at some point down the road.

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

unless you can just get by on freelancing, which is pretty easy to find in a big metro area, I wouldn't move anywhere without a secure gig lined up. but that's just me

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Try 1986 Anytown, USA.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Figures. When I'm 13, no one's looking for teenagers to do my work for free. When I'm 34, everyone's looking for teenagers to do my work for free.

5. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Well, this thread basically summed up what I already thought.

Thanks anyway, world.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Buck: Your gf can find a job teaching special ed anywhere.

It is the one education specialty in the highest demand. It is harder for a journalist to find work.

7. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Ain't that the truth. Thing is, I want a new job now and if I don't find one sooner rather than later she's going to have to move somewhere for her next job. It's not all lining up like I'd like. Who knew trying to coordinate your life with someone else's would be so difficult?

8. True.

You might be interested in Martinsburg, W.Va.
    It is an urban area located on the W.Va., Va, Maryland border, about hour commute from DC.
    The area is desperate for teachers and you could likely find work in a wide array of newspapers. The Martinsburg Journal is a Ogden daily Newspaper and there are several smaller papers there. There a ton of jobs around the DC area, as well as the Carroll County times (Maryland) and the Cumberland Maryland (a CNHI paper). Either Grant or Mineral County (W.Va.) was searching for a sports editor (check jjobs.com). I think the pay was in the mid-20K range.
    Given the area's wide, well area, you could probably also find affordable housing, as well some semblance of culture.

9. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Thanks for the tip!

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm in the same boat with my girlfriend too. She's also an education major. Just kidding hoping the stars align and everything works out. If not I can always BLOG!

(NOTE: I don't know how to do blue font)

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not for nothin', but California's about to cut the jobs of 20,000 teachers statewide next month.

Getting a job is not as easy as it seems. In any industry these days.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

"Only" a little over 10,000 received pink slips. Only a fraction of that will actually be dismissed. And, believe me, I'm not making light. I would never do that. But, hell, Amgen or Countrywide whacks that employees after lunch on Fridays.

Draft saved Draft deleted