1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job posting: What the hell does this mean?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dr. Ted Nelson, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

My sister has a job like this for a large state university, and this description is right on target. On the other hand, she really enjoys working in the college atmosphere as opposed to previous jobs in the private sector. And given that she's not in the newspaper industry, she makes as much money as I do and has much greater medium- and long-term job security.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Shorter version = If you have to ask, you're f_cked.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

And that's the downside to working at a university, sometimes the BS is mind numbing.

I don't want to be the reason you don't get the job, but I'd be tempted to keep the statement as short as possible: "I'm not a racist, sexist or homophobe. and I've always worked to include sources with diverse backgrounds into my stories."

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Tufts University required an essay on a similar topic in its undergrad application more than 20 years ago. I think I wrote about who sat at my table in the cafeteria.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Tell them you're currently a barista at Starbucks. You'll be in like Flynn. #racetogether

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Not that a self-written "statement," which could be a complete inaccuracy and total fabrication of you or your career, is actually a real "demonstration" of anything.

I'd send along a couple examples of stories or blogs or posts or videos that, perhaps, actually deal with or are related to such issues and say, "I think my work speaks for itself."

But then, I realize, I might not get the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted