1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job posting: Football coach, Duke University

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Dec 12, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs/descr_campus/select.php?ID=1200">
    Get your resumes ready and send them off to Duke! Apparently, you don't need an education either!</a>
    The direct link didn't work. Click on the above link, click on "search openings" and search for football.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I remember seeing English Premier League soccer teams posting in newspaper when I was growing up.

Applied for a couple of them, just to say I did it.

3. Link doesn't work. Here it is: http://www.hr.duke.edu/jobs/descr_campus/select.php?ID=1200

I'm getting my application together now.

4. ondeadline

Thanks, SJ, I fixed the link.

You notice one word that does not appear in the posting? Win.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this go on the jobs board? ;)

6. ondeadline

Well, the Duke job probably has more job security than some of the jobs posted on the jobs board. Heck, you can go a whole season without winning and not get fired at Duke.

7. Being a Journalist: No respect, no life, shitty pay, bad job security.

Being a Football Coach: Alumni dinners, inflated pay, seven months paid vacation, ability to ditch team for better job with no repercussions.

Screw my job, I quit.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"provide leadership and instruction in areas of deficiency"... now that's good job writing.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

They just better hope that area isn't math. Or success.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Would they be willing to hire a Carolina fan? :D

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a flawed analogy. It's like claiming that Mitch Albom, Mike Lupica and Rick Reilly are representative of the journalism profession. There are 119 (correct the exact number if I am wrong -- don't feel like looking it up) D-I head coaching positions. So extend the cushy (and cushy is a relative word, because most of those guys do work like animals to keep those jobs) to 200 jobs -- and that is a generous estimate. Below those 100 to 200 well-paid, well-respected jobs, there are thousands of guys toiling away on staffs and earning really low wages, while working their tails off. It is a full-time job and then some, between film, coaching and recruiting. And you have such little security. I'd say the football coaching profession is a lot like the newspaper reporting profession in a lot of ways, actually.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

A radio station today threw out Karl Dorrell's name for this job.

Draft saved Draft deleted