1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job opening: Longhorns beat writer, Austin American-Statesman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ricote7091, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Ricote7091

Ricote7091 New Member

The Austin American-Statesman is seeking a college beat writer to cover the University of Texas. The position currently covers Longhorns football, baseball and recruiting as well as providing online content, though those may change in the future based on the applicant's and staff's strengths.

We're looking for a seasoned, aggressive reporter with a writer's touch, with at least five years of experience as well as experience on a college beat and a demonstrated ability to break news.

Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, résumé, clips and references to Deputy Sports Editor Richard Tijerina by Wednesday, December 8, either at rtijerina@statesman.com or to:

The Austin American-Statesman
    Attn: Richard Tijerina, Sports
    305 S. Congress Ave.
    Austin, TX 78704

2. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

I'm guessing there won't be too much interest in this one ;D

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Is someone leaving?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought it said Longhorns get beat writer.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's about time the Longhorns beat someone.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

*rimshot*

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great paper. Great gig. Great city.

8. writingump

writingump Member

What Mizzougrad said.

9. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Unless something else happened that I'm unaware of, this position would replace Alan Trubow, who is going to/has been in graduate school.

This is the No. 2 slot behind Randy Riggs, who moved over to the Longhorns beat this year while Suzanne (sp?) Halliburton went to Texas A&M/Big 12.

I am surprised it's being posted -- the last two hires in this position were promotions from the staff's main high school position. Trubow and Cedric Golden were both the lead high school writers, then had this job, and of course, Golden moved up to columnist later.

It's a great paper that's better off financially than most. I can't recall a layoff (maybe buyouts, but not sure) in sports. I can't speak for everyone, but it'd he hard to find someone better to work with than Golden and Kirk Bohls -- even though Golden kicks my ass in fantasy football every year.

As for the city, you can't get any better. Great atmosphere, great music scene, the food is incredible and you'll be able to find a solid place to live.

I'm jealous of whoever gets it. Good luck.

10. nmsports

nmsports Member

Plum gig. Good luck to all the applicants.

11. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Need to correct myself. Trubow is not leaving. He is doing work for the Statesman's new Longhorns site, HookEm.com. This is an added position.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Added position?! That's crazy talk. What does the American-Statesmen think, that this is 1999? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted