1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job Offer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jun 15, 2006.

?

Do you take it?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    75.9%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I didn't say I'd marry her. :p

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, but what about the UHL?

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

If it's director of communcations, I'm in. Personnel? Don't know that I know the game well enough to evaluate talent for a pro team. WNBA? All over it, baby!

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Sorry, you're not getting $110K for Director of Communcations.

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I'd do it. Not everyone gets to put something that unique and important-sounding on a resume.

If it blows up in your face, you still were P.P.D. for a semi-legit professional franchise. You'll find work.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I wouldn't/couldn't. To be in charge of player personnel, I'd have to not only watch the WNBA, but also women's college basketball and European leagues and crap like that.

I'd rather cover preps for an 8K weekly.

7. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yep. Assuming I had the qualifications.

I have no issues with the ladies game. I admit right now I don't know much about the WNBA but I do have been covering the women's college game enough to get a decent start.

WNAB has been around long enough to establish itself as legit league.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

;D Anytime somebody makes fun of the WNBA on this board, I'm going to post:

"And yet, nearly 75% of SportsJournalists.com respondents said they'd take a job in the WNBA." ;D

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I mean, the job itself is probably fine. And the benefits sound awesome.

But I just couldn't bear to watch women's basketball. Is that a bad thing? Perhaps. Does it make me a bad sports journalist? Perhaps. But I can't do it.

10. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

I'm in.

I admit I'd need a much better understanding of the game (even though basketball is far and away the sport I understand the most and my longest sustained "favorite" sport). Watching basketball year round wouldn't be a terrible thing. Even though it's, gasp, the women's game. Salary would be great. Benefits sound good. What's not to like? Do it a year and get the hell out if need be.

It's become cool to bash women's basketball, but the quality really isn't as bad as people want to make it out to be. Sure, there aren't any dunks, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. I'm far from a purist, but this game wasn't designed to be played above the rim all the time. Every trip down the floor doesn't have to be about making a television highlight. All that crap was nice for about 20 years of my life, but it's wearing on me now. If you've seen one dunk, you've seen them all.

I'm certainly not going to try to convince people to watch it. Hell, I don't watch it unless I have to. I'm just sayin...

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No. I don't care how much the salary is.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Like Schmoe, I'd do it if I had the requisite skill set (which I don't). Granted, there's not as much prestige as the NBA, but if you can put the ego issues aside (and who among us couldn't do that for $110k?) I don't think it would be a bad gig. I'll say this: I covered men's and women's basketball at the Olympics, and the women's game was by far the better game.

Draft saved Draft deleted