1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job Offer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Jun 15, 2006.

?

Do you take it?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    75.9%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't. It would be a job I'd hate doing. That trumps everything, even the first class champagne.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes, I take it. I don't think twice about it.

If it were my sport, it would be my dream job. Right now, I am covering my sport, but writing was never the goal I set for myself.

Even though the WNBA isn't where I want to be (I actually hate basketball), the experience from that job would put me a lot closer to what I want to do.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sorry, Luggie, I thought you were asking us for advice.

Me? If it's WNBA, no. If it's NHL, hell yeah. If it's ECHL, hell yeah (although I probably couldn't expect $110K in that league).

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Double J - OK, it's interesting that you'd do it for ECHL.

And as a bonus for you, I'm keeping your salary at $110K.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd take a look at the travel and if it is workable, like not being on the road eight or nine months, then I would say yes to the offer.
    If the off-season demands, personal appearances, scouting trips, that sort of thing. If those weren't especially demanding, then I would again say yes.
    Money and a cool title, those aren't the things I look for. Quality of life is way too important to me than a six-figure salary.
    So if the job had good QOL, I'd say yes and wouldn't look back. Doesn't matter what the job offer would be.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hell yes. Never mind the enormous raise I'd be getting. I like the WNBA, adore baseketball and would kill to have to opportunity to work with women like Sheryl Swoopes, Sue Bird, Katie Smith or Tamika Catchings. No brainer for me.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I'd make sure I'm offered health benefits. :D

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Coogs - Not only would you get health benefits, but you'd get really good ones.

Blue Cross Blue Shield out-of-network.

-------------------

Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised by these results.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, why not.

I'd much rather be the Director of Player Personnel for a WNBA team than an NBA team. The pressure would be a lot less. You'd probably feel good about giving young women the break of a lifetime rather than fretting over which shooting guard to take.

Also, not likely that some pesky sports columnists is going to be ripping you on draft day. They won't even know when the WNBA draft is.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yes, I would. In a second.

And I'd hire Jennifer Azzi as my personal assistant.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You trying to be the poor man's Rushin? :D

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I assume to do the job, I'd have to evaluate players... It's an impossible job... Everyone knows that women can't play basketball worth shit.

Just kidding. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted