1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job moves and getting out of leases

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cubman, Aug 9, 2007.

1. cubman

cubman Member

Anyone have any stories/advice to share in this area? I may be moving about 1,000 miles away for work in the next month or so, yet my lease isn't up until January. Am I bound to pay the rest of the rent or does the landlord have some responsibility to rent my unit ASAP, as I've read some places? I've considered subletting but in that case, I'm still ultimately responsible for the place.
    I plan to talk to the rental office just to let them know of the possibility before something goes definite, if it does.
    Fire away.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Wherever I've lived, a 30-day or 60-day notice is sufficient to get out of a lease. Check the fine print in your agreement or the tenancy laws in your area.

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Ugh. Did this last February, paid my lease out because paying it out and paying the early term fee were about the same, and I sure as shit wasn't going to let the asses lease the apartment again AND have my early term fee. So, in my mind, I stuck it to them a little bit by not letting them get double out of it.

But paying $2100 for an apartment I wasn't living in wasn't a pleasant experience.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't laugh, but some employers will pay to break leases for new hires coming from outta town. Not a lot, especially in this biz, but I know my old shop did.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I did that once. Had to pay up all the way, which was about 3 months worth or so of rent. But got it all back since they found someone else to take my place.

6. Kamaki

Kamaki Member

I've done this several times, and I've always been able to convince them that while I would have loved to stay in their fantastic apartment, this job opportunity is just too much for me to pass up.
    "There's no way I'd rather live 1,000 miles away, but that's the nature of the business. I'm sure I'll never be able to find a place a nice as this, but hopefully this will be the big break I've been looking for. I'm sure you'll see me on ESPN with Bob Ryan and Michael Wilbon sometime soon!"

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

My apartment complex says if it's the company you work for is relocating you, then you can get out of the lease. Could be their rule, could be a local or state law, not sure.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Also check your lease to see if you're allowed to sublet.

If you're in a college town and you'll be moving soon, that might be the way to go.

9. boots

boots New Member

In many cases, exceptions are made, especially if it concerns employment. If they are going to take you to the hill on the lease, I say sublet.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Or, they'll be bastards about the negotiations and keep badgering you with phone calls before turning it over to collections ...

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

When I was going through my aforementioned struggle, I actually called a buddy of my uncle's, who's a lawyer. ... And he gave the same advice as Mizzou's. Pretty funny.

I didn't have the balls to do it, though.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

How soon before you find out if you will be moving?

Draft saved Draft deleted