1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jul 27, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As some already know, my job,if I stay where I currently live, was shifting from a payroll position to a contract position. Making me or less a full-time freelancer and without benefits.
    It just so happened that about that same time, a thread popped up on here if a person could make it as a freelancer. After some wrangling and some discussions with some different editors, I couldn't find a second regular gig that would also accomodate the contract job.
    A friend who was aware of the situation passed it on that my local metro was hiring.
    I sent the hiring editor a note, saying I was interested and the response was blase, maybe set up an interview next week. That afternoon I get a call from him, wanting to know my salary requirements.
    He shared that he had asked around about me, and a masthead editor was like "holy crap, if he's available, find out how much he money he needs and if we can afford him, hire him now."
    Apparently the number I pulled out of my butt, was in the magic range and the soonest he could interview was Friday morning.
    Meaning I didn't have time to get a suit pressed, so, hopefully, they don't notice.
    My suspicion is that they'll offer something, so back to working in an office, instead of my spare bedroom.
    Sigh, I'll miss working at home.
    I don't know why I'm sharing, but I am. I guess it is that some thoughtful people on here, shared some of their wisdom with people they don't know. And it had an impact on those listening.
    To me that's the real value of this board, even when all hope seems lost when another thread gets bogged down by politics or whatever else is the flavor for that particular day.
    So for some, jgmacg and playthrough in particular, thanks.
    If either of ya'll happen to be down south, send me a note and drinks are on me.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You sound confident, but good luck tomorrow!

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Good luck.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow. They can do that? Unilaterally?

You're a full-time employee and all of a sudden you're not?

Whatever happens, good luck.

5. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Good Luck!

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good luck, Jay.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Buena suerte, Jay.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Best of luck Jay. I hope things work out for you.

9. Let me be the first to say good luck, Jay. :D

10. Atababy Jay, make this happen dude. Good luck

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

For the suit: If it's badly wrinkled and you want some improvement, hang it in the bathroom, close the door and put on a hot shower. The steam will remove the wrinkles.

Good luck.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nice info. i'll remember that ... and good luck jay.

Draft saved Draft deleted