1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job interview question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lollygaggers, Jul 16, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

See, I don't understand this at all. Do you just not let them contact your current place? Because my references have always been called BEFORE an interview. And they usually ask why they can't talk to your current boss...doesn't seem worth it to me to seem shaky to your new employees.

And I know I'm lucky. But I just can't imagine that EVERYONE ELSE works in a slave shop.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

IJAG, we must live in completely different universes.

First, I'd never give references until after at least the preiliminary interview. No way I'd be giving out references BEFORE the interview.

Secondly if a prospective employeer asked me why they couldn't contact my present employer, I'd figure they'd be too dumb to work for, anyway.

3. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

My statement has been, "I would appreciate it if you would wait to contact my current employer until an offer is imminent." I've never been able/felt comfortable to use a current boss for a reference.

And JR, it's the Midwestern Protestant work ethic in me that makes me feel guilty initially (key word) for not telling my bosses when I've been looking. Upon furthern analysis I then realize I'm only looking out for my best interests, which is what employers have been doing for themselves for years.

4. captzulu

captzulu Member

None of the places I've interviewed at, both in and out of newspapers, has contacted my current employer, since none of my bosses expected my announcement that I got a job offer. Besides, isn't your boss pretty much limited to only being able to confirm that you work there? I had a pretty good relationship with one of my bosses (at a paper that I started at, left, then went back again because I missed the city and the workplace environment, then left again after some major upheaval at the paper), and even in that case I didn't tell him anything until I accepted a job offer. I made up for it by giving him extra long notice both times so that he'd have more time to find a replacement. Of course, I've had another job (non-newspaper) where somebody there went to put in her two weeks, only to be chewed out by the psychopath owner, who told her to leave right away. And as the girl was walking back to her desk, the owner came stomping after her a few seconds later and started another shouting match in the open (apparently the owner thinks it's customary to give six weeks notice). And the funny part of that whole story was that after the dust settled, the owner decided to let the girl stay (saying something like, "The only reason I'm not firing you now is because it's more convenient to have you here for two weeks") and, more amazingly, the girl decided to stay in spite of all that so she could help her friends there make a smooth transition. Moral of the story: When looking for another job, think of yourself first, the company second. Loyalty is something that's earned, not blindly given. Being employed by a company doesn't automatically obligate you to put their needs ahead of your own.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But how is this affecting anyone's needs? I don't NEED to keep it a secret, they don't NEED to know. I don't think my boss goes and tells everyone in the office. It's just so he knows for his own well-being.

I'm flabbergasted by this entire thread.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

If it's any consolation IJAG, I'm apparently in a similar situation to yours, because I share your feelings on this matter.

But I agree it depends on the situation. In my current job, I feel comfortable being open with my boss(es) about such matters. At past stops, I didn't.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

JR ... you're right. It's different universes. When I applied for my current job, which is a good 2,200 miles from my last job, I told my boss that I was interviewing. When I was one of two or three coming in for a live interview, I felt like there was a decent chance that I'd get the gig. I was a rather important cog in the newsroom (SE, also helped some with news, etc.) and any jump that he could get in finding a potential replacement was going to be beneficial.

I didn't tell him anything until I got to the in-person interview stage. It's rare that a ME/EE at a smaller is going to stunt the growth of one of his younger employees. My ME knew that he was running a stepping-stone paper and didn't hold it against any of us if we were looking for bigger and better things. Maybe I was lucky. Not all bosses are like that.

It would be a totally different story if I was looking to move from one 200K to another, I suppose.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My boss repeatedly tells me how lucky I am to work for him.

I'm starting to believe it even more. Any move I make from here on out will not be a huge jump. But I still keep him clued in from the beginning.

God, I don't know how the rest of you do it.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can advise people that there's a blanket rule. People have to evaluate their individual situations and make a decision. Some I've told, some I haven't. Some were good people, some weren't, and I made my choices based on that.

10. The only thing you owe your boss(es) is to work hard and give two weeks (or a month, depending on how high you are in the company) notice when and if you find another job/go back to school/whatever.

Journalism is a business. Your shop will get by without you, and if it doesn't it's not your fault that it's so understaffed that one person leaving causes it to shut down.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've only made one move in my career, and in that case my employer-to-be contacted my current employer for permission to talk to me.

They talked to my SE before they ever even talked to me.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

That's about the fairest advice you can give.

But it's still safer to keep the cards close to the vest.

Draft saved Draft deleted