1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job interview question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kritter47, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Me being a guy who rails against corporate greed, i'd probably ask them why they are such cheap bastards if they won't pay to fly -- or bus, train, whatever -- me in there for an interview. of course, there would be no interview at that point.

but i guess if you want the job, suck it up. you can get it back if you're crafty once you get in there.

and yet i still call bullshit -- loud and long -- on what journalism and corporate newspapers have become. guess i'd take the job if it was nice and/or paid well, but you'll never find me trusting management again. i haven't had a manager i've trusted since 1994, and that says enough, i guess. the rest of them have been fakes, liars and careerists, and that's where newspapers are at now.

i hate it. love my job, though, but hate the rest of the bullshit.

so get everything you can up front. these fucktards are probably trying to low-ball you on the way in, anyway.

2. rascalface

rascalface Member

Current gig flew me in, paid for the rental car, put me up a very nice hotel and picked up the meals, since every time I picked up a fork I was sitting across from an editor or other staff members.

First job out of j-school, I was nearing the halfway point of the summer before I was leaving old State U., and preparing to panic because I had nothing lined up. That's when I got a call from the ME at the paper I eventually went to work for. He was interested in talking to me and wanted me to come up for an interview. He didn't offer any expenses, I didn't ask for any compensation, since it was a six-hour drive and close enough to my folks' place that I could sleep there. As has been mentioned by others before, I think I was a few parts naive and a few parts anxious to secure that first job.

If a paper is tight with the purse strings, it's a good sign that they're willing to pony up some dough to bring you in. No newspaper (or any other company for that matter) is going to spend money on someone they have no interest in hiring.

Draft saved Draft deleted