1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job interview question: What if they ask how committed I am to a low salary?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Re: Job interview question: What if they ask how committed I am to newspapers?

Agreed. That passion is why I'm still sticking around, and I imagine that's the case for most of us.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well there is that -- and the fact that in this economy, those people who have by God's grace managed not to get axed really don't have many other options.

I'm guessing reason B is far more prevalent these days than reason A......

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So I had the interview today, and it went pretty well, although I'm not sure if I'll get an offer.

And yes, the pay issue did come up. It was within the scale that I had posted earlier. I gave them a bit of a BS answer about how I didn't have a history of job hunting and if I was really happy where I was, then maybe I might overlook the low pay a little bit. I don't know if they bought my answer, but oh, well.

EDIT: I mean job hopping, not job hunting.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That doesn't seem to be a good answer. Hopefully you didn't say you would overlook low pay.

5. Baron Scicluna

To me, with the pay that low, I really would be treating it as a job like if I had to take one at Wal-Mart or something like that. Only it would still be in newspapers, which to me, would beat a fast-food gig or something like that.

They mentioned that they wanted someone who, they hoped, would make a commitment to where they weren't going to have to look for someone else too quickly. But with the low pay, it's almost like, give me a break. They weren't willing to negotiate.

Quite honestly, if they offer it to me, I probably would take it, just to have a job. But it sure wouldn't be something that I would be quite loyal to.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

That's the best you could have done I think, Baron. All we can do is put ourselves out there, and answer questions honestly.

I'd be a tad worried if you didn't have a history of job hunting. :)

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

"We'd like to hire someone for this meager salary, and we'd like him not only to take the job, but to be satisfied enough with it that he doesn't look for anything else. Oh, and we'd also like to get someone overqualified, rather than an entry level person who might expect this type of salary.

Sound good?"

8. Baron Scicluna

That about summed it up.

9. Andy_Cunanan

Andy_Cunanan New Member

For the love of god, why is anyone interviewing at a daily newspaper anymore? Get out. GET OUT NOW.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ah, another newbie expert. Just what we need.

11. Andy_Cunanan

Andy_Cunanan New Member

Perhaps it's EXACTLY what you need. Just because someone might be a new member on a particular public message board hardly disqualifies them. For all you know, I do have subject-matter expertise. But base your comment on an assumption, instead of inquiring. That's also a big part of the reason for print's failure. Lack of vision and leadership at the top. Lazy reporters at the bottom.

12. Andy_Cunanan

Andy_Cunanan New Member

BEST answer to this question:

"I'm committed to helping retool the content I created for our digital properties (web site, mobile apps, iPad app, streaming video, etc.) into a format that works for the print product, too."

Draft saved Draft deleted