1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job interview question: What if they ask how committed I am to a low salary?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Re: Job interview question: What if they ask how committed I am to newspapers?

Why wouldn't it be a legal question? It's a typical BS question asked in interviews. There are a couple of classics such as: How well do you get along with others, tell me how you fixed a problem and can you do more than one thing at a time?

My loyalty comes from making enough to support my family and having a pleasant place to work. Newspapers are probably the wrong career for that, but there has to be one small to medium-size daily where the majority of the editorial staff enjoys working there.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Are there really varying degrees of commitment? I mean, you're either committed or you aren't. Period.

So, the answer is: Committed.

"You can't have "a little grace." You either have grace, or you...don't." — Mrs. Landis, from Seinfeld 'The Chaperone.'

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Baron, your thread title says: "What if they ask how committed I am to newspapers?"

Your post says: "What if they asked me how committed I would be to the position because of the low salary?"

These are two very different questions.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Lie through your teeth.

You need the job. So you give them whatever question is going to make them hire you and sleep good at night.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You should just answer with a totally on point but off point response.

Question: "How committed would you be to the position?"

Answer: "Anything that I put my mind to, I commit to. If you offer me this position, I can guarantee you I will do everything you ask and more because I am the type of employee that doesn't just sit and collect a pay check. I enjoy this profession and would love the chance to show you my passion for this industry on an everyday level."

This type of answer gives them what they want to hear and absolves you of any wrong doing when you leave them for more money down the line.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. I probably didn't word it correctly.

Good answer. Maybe I'll use a version of this, if asked.

And yeah, I'm leaning towards this, too.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Lie to them like most people do by telling them "newspapers are your passion and it is a labor of love......"

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Zag,

For most of us doing the work, or still wanting to do the work, that isn't a lie.

Such passion/love is, in fact, the reason for much of our angst, anger and frustration -- just the other side of the same coin.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you do go this route (and it is a good thought), please say "employee who doesn't just sit and collect a pay check."

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

An editor who asks cookie cutter questions has no business hiring people. You can quickly tell who is not qualified to hire people if they never deviate from a set script of questions.

11. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

Your answer, of course: "Hey, anybody who wants to work for a newspaper these days should be committed."

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Really - after all this business has done to fuck it self and suck the life out of itself, you still have a passion for it?

Draft saved Draft deleted