1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job interview question: What if they ask how committed I am to a low salary?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So I have a job interview coming up with a small paper in my area (non-sports journalism). I had previously worked my way up to a medium-sized paper, where I had worked for many years, before being laid off.

I'm sure this paper won't pay what I was previously making, and I've reconciled myself to that. If anything, I'm thinking that this paper will be paying pretty low (maybe $12-13/hour, perhaps, in a fairly expensive area).

But one thing that I'm worried about with the interview would be what if they asked me how committed I would be to the position because of the low salary?

Quite frankly, I would be taking it as just a job until something better were to come along, whether that would be a week or a year later. But I sure as heck don't want to tell them that, or worse, go on a rant about how I had worked for years for the medium-sized paper and got booted out with 20-year veterans.

So, if I'm asked about my committment, how should I respond?

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Re: Job interview question: What if they ask how committed I am to newspapers?

If you want to be honest and coy, say I'm as committed to this newspaper as it is to me. Judging by the salary, they have their own answer right there. If not just say committed, period. You shouldn't need to wax poetic about it. If they're worried about you getting a better offer, and they know it, they should up the ante.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Considering the current job market I can safely say I would be as committed to this job as I have been to any job I've ever had. One of the things I've realized lately is how important producing quality journalism is to me.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Respond back: How committed are YOU GUYS committed to newspapers?

5. Re: Job interview question: What if they ask how committed I am to newspapers?

Can't believe that question will come up. What is anyone supposed to say? "No, not really. I'll be gone as soon as something better comes along."
    But if they do ask it, tell them what they want to hear. Commitment's subjective. They can't accuse you of lying if someone offers you 100gs to make widgets

6. Baron Scicluna

I'm asking the question now because I've had it come up in a couple of other non-newspaper interviews that have had low salaries.

Right now, I'm of the mind that I would take a job like that if offered, but I sure as heck would keep sending out my resume.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

A long time ago I interviewed for a job that was clearly, based on experience and aspirations, a stepping-stone job. The editor asked me: "How do I know if I hire you that you won't leave for a better job on a year?"

Me: "You don't, but in the meantime you'll get the best I've got."

I didn't get the job, and I'm glad I didn't.

8. Dr. Ted Nelson

Dr. Ted Nelson New Member

Maybe you interviewed at my shop.
    During a recent hiring process, our SE told us he didn't like one of the candidates - who also just happened to be clearly the most talented writer - because of his aspirations to eventually move on to a big paper.
    Effing weak.

Consider me in the same camp as coaches who hire assistants who want to be head coaches.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

During the interview for what would eventually be my first job, the SE told me "we won't hold you back. If you have the opportunity to go to a bigger paper and we can help you get there, will do."

I worked there for one year, and got paid poverty-level wages. But when an opportunity came to move to a (slightly) bigger paper and get a 25% increase in salary, they did everything they could to help.

10. Baron Scicluna

That happened at my first paper too. The publisher told me they knew that they were a stepping stone, paid poorly and that they expected me to move on pretty quickly. And when I did, they were very happy for me.

In a big way, if I were to get hired for this job, I'd definitely by taking a step down. Psychologically, it's tough for me. Basically, I'm just looking at it as a job that I would rather have than working at Wal-Mart while I'm still looking for something better.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Granted, I have limited experience doing the job interviewing vs. being interviewed for a job, but is this even a legal question? Unless they're thinking of abandoning a print edition and going online only?

If it's not a given at smaller papers that you're there to help newbie reporters/editors get to the next level, if that's their wish, then something's wrong.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I was going to post this exact same thing. Well done, sir. Except without the second "committed" :p

Draft saved Draft deleted