1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job in Winston-Salem

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sneed, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Anybody know anything about this?
    ----------------------------------------------

Do you have a passion to write? Are you interested in sports?

A new venue for sports coverage in the Winston Salem area will soon be premiering and we are looking for writers. These positions are perfect for a young writer trying to break into the journalism industry or if you're a sports fan with a passion for writing and new media. We will cover all WS sports including the Dash and the Cyclones. Wake Forest and Winston Salem State. Key prep athletics and recruiting. Racing at Bowman-Gray Stadium. Prime events at the Winston Salem Entertainment-Sports Complex will be covered as well.

We are looking for several passionate people to write stories and call in reports.

Please email us at winstonsalemsports@hotmail.com for more information.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This post is code for little to no pay, and young writer means junior high or high school kid. Plus, you probably won't get credentialed for anything and have to cover WF from the bleachers.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

4. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Ha yeah, I applied, but am expecting it to be what both of you just said.

5. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

Yeah, the fact that the contact information ends with @hotmail.com probably says a lot about it.

6. nogood12

nogood12 Guest

Aside from the job - which I know nothing about - it's a great area. Went to school in that area and haven't been anywhere else that I enjoyed nearly as much. There's plenty to do and plenty not to bother you.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's in my neck of the woods. I like it here. As for the so-called gig, I wouldn't put much stock in it. They plan to cover the Cyclones, eh? The Cyclones folded.

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Ha I know dude! I just saw that yesterday and laughed, literally, lol'd.

lol....does anyone use that anymore?

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Nobody I respect.

I like the Triad. God help me, I like the Triad. Curious to see if this is a legit job or just a freelancer/volunteer thing. Also, what in hell are the Dash? Oh, it's what the Warthogs used to be. What in hell was wrong with Warthogs? Dashes are what pretentious writers use in place of commas. They're also, apparently, this d'bag:

[​IMG]

You'd think a town that calls RJ Reynolds and Krispy Kreme home could find a more appropriate and home-grown mascot than Ricky the Roaring Red Retard. But don't let that get in the way of the discussion of this fine position.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That's the second city in which the Cyclones failed in four seasons of existence.

Guess Bob Kerzner didn't figure out to price tickets at a reasonable rate for starters. Serious shame ...

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not to mention that the Dash franchise is in serious trouble because the two knuckleheads who own it are squabbling. There is a half-finished stadium collecting dust amidst unpaid bills and contractual disputes. Meanwhile the Dash are back playing at the former Ernie Shore Field drawing "crowds" in the low hundreds. Truly a mess.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Looks like a cross between Dino and Telly.

Draft saved Draft deleted