1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job Hunting 101: The Follow-up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tierra, Jun 14, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

MMSW, if this is true, this is the most incredible success rate any job seeker has ever had. congratulations! that happened to me once (out of about 150 times) but the guy was talking out of his ass and the actual interview never happened.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yeah, that in-between period is brutal. In my experience, they usually say at the interview stage how long they think it'll take. But it usually takes longer. I typically wait until the outer edge of the time frame they gave me, then e-mail the hiring editor and, very innocuosly, ask where things stand. No harm in asking. But I wouldn't call, for the reasons above.

3. Here's what I always do after an interview: send a thank you note, especially if they're reimbursing you for the trip (tuck the receipt(s) in the thank you card). Just don't put anything in it saying how you're waiting for their call ... let them think it's just cuz you're a classy, thoughtful guy.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

agree, and have been on both sides.
    Keep in mind, resumes sometimes take a while to filter down from HR, if that's where they are catching them.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

On the other hand, if I'm doing the hiring, I don't want 50 people calling to see if I've received their resume. I think I got lucky each time.

I should amend my earlier message. I now realize that one of the follow-ups, at a paper in Connecticut, wasn't a true follow-up. I actually called to tell the managing editor that my clips were on their way, but I made the call at 11 p.m., expecting to get voice mail. I got him. (And hung up like a chicken.) I tried again at 1 a.m., and he answered again, so I sucked it up and told him I wanted to apply. I was there for an interview and two-day tryout the next week.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This is an interesting and necessary question/subject on the whole hiring process, but especially for writing/reporting jobs, one thing always stood out for me.

Reporters are supposed to be aggressive and tenacious, right? So why is this same process frowned upon when someone is looking for a job?

Don't pile on; I know the answer. But I'm just throwing yet another do-as-we-say/not-as-we-do journalistic dichotomy out there for consumption.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Is the follow-up call really a demonstration of aggressiveness and tenaciousness?

Most of the follow-up calls I've received seem to demonstrate insecurity and desparation.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ding, ding, ding.

Draft saved Draft deleted