1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job Hunting 101: The Follow-up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tierra, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Tierra

Tierra New Member

This is the part of the hiring process I'm terrible at - making the follow-up contact. Stumbling into my last two jobs made it a lot easier to get them.

It's been a week since I e-mailed up my resume and clips... Now what?

1) Phone call or e-mail? As an editor, I'd appreciate an e-mail that I can ignore a lot better than a phone call (or worse, a voicemail) I won't ignore. But as a job applicant, I'd probably like to initiate some conversation.

2) To the SE or to the HR employee I sent my app to? Maybe he hasn't even gotten the resumes yet.

3) What the hell do I say? "Wanted to confirm that you guys got my application" only goes so far."How's the weather up there this time of year?" "I really, really, really want your job so I can get out of middle management hell?"

I'm sure this has been covered before on here, and I'm sorry for asking it again. I did search a bit on the forum before posting this. Even got a new account because my old one was too easy to identify. :-\

Thanks in advance.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: The Follow-up

Depends on the job and whether it was out of the blue or not.

If it was some job you saw posted and you sent your stuff in blind, you might check in after a couple weeks.

If the SE new it was coming you might shoot an email after a week -- wanted to make sure you got my stuff, see if you need anything else, etc.

Now is not the time to seem pushy or desperate.

3. 85bears

85bears Member

I don't think you should send any follow up after responding to a job ad. If they like you, they'll call you. A "Did you get my stuff?" looks like you're just following the protocol in "Job Hunting 101." These guys are savvy. They realize you're just trying to nudge your name in there one more time, thinking it might help.

Let your stuff sell you on its own merits.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I disagree. I think it's fine to follow-up after two weeks. It doesn't hurt to reaffirm your interest, in a way it IS nudging your name, which you should do if you're really interested. Don't ask something like "did you get my stuff" (editor could say "yes" and hang up), ask something like "How have you progressed in your search?" Worst thing that can happen is they say they're not interested. You're not going to be blackballed for all time.

Don't badger them, but I think ONE e-mail (if they provided an address) or a call is acceptable.

5. JME

JME Member

Nothing wrong with a short, easy follow up in my opinion, but I'm not a hiring editor. I definitely would stick to email; a phone call is a bit overbearing.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Ordinarily I'd say don't bother with the follow-up, but the three times I did it, I was rewarded with on-the-spot interview arrangements.

That said, I think the follow up can hurt you if you're not careful. When I acknowledge receipt of a resume, I tell every initial applicant they'll hear from me by such-and-such a date, usually two weeks away. Pestering me a few days later to ask if I have any questions or would like to see additional clips does nothing to help me remember you in a positive way.

And please don't listen to anyone that says it's OK because it shows aggressiveness. It shows impatience.

7. Tierra

Tierra New Member

That's part of it. I am *legitimately* interested that the HR rep received my stuff and passed it along to the SE. Just don't know how long to wait before I drop a line up there.

8. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I have no qualms about following up, and it doesn't hurt to keep your name a little fresh in the editor's mind. Plus, I think it shows you want the job - and aren't calling to be annoying or bothersome. A simple call that says, "Hey, just wanted to make sure you got everything. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks. Look forward to hearing from you." or some variation of that. Not a big deal.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nobody from HR is going to hire you. Their job is to say "no" to a lot of people. Drop a line to the person who will make the actual hire.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Sending an e-mail is fine...just a quick "Hey, did you get my clips? I really want to work for you guys and I know I can do a good job for you" is all it takes. Send it to the hiring editor, since he's the guy or gal who will make the move. HR doesn't hire anyone. E-mails are a lot less intrusive than a phone call (last thing you want to do is bug an editor when he/she is getting ready for a budget meeting, on deadline or dealing with some daily disaster). Try to send the e-mail early in the morning too, so the editor can have a chance to read it. (I kind of automatically plow through stuff I get during the workday and half read things, unless they come from a subscriber or a co-worker. I've totally misread things friends sent me in personal e-mails.)

11. i don't know.

12. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

What about between the interview and when the place calls you back?
    If a place says they'll call you early in the week, and its wednesday or thursday, is it cool to call and ask if they've made a decision?
    Then secondly, do places expect you to call and wonder why you haven't?
    I've called places and have been lied to straight up. They said they filled the position but the ad was still open for the next month and a half. If it was filled they wouldn't leave it up for that long after, you'd think. Unless they did.

Draft saved Draft deleted