1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job hunt questions for upcoming grads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Mar 30, 2008.

1. slatter

slatter Member

Here's a question. I've sent out packets to a ton of places across the country (many concentrated in the mid-Atlantic where I grew up and now attend school). Of the ~50 places I sent a packet, only two e-mailed me back.

That was in late January. In early April I e-mailed everyone who had not gotten back to me, seeing if they received my packet and if they have any openings or anticipate anything, etc. Several got back to me, but there are still probably 30 places from which I haven't heard back.

Is it too naggy to start making calls, say, next week, and basically reiterate asking if they got my packet (sort of pretending like the e-mail never happened, or maybe quickly mention the e-mail)? I don't want to come off as naggy, but I do want them to know that I'm actively looking for a job.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i guarantee you i don't want to talk with every upcoming college graduate. i have neither the time or the desire.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm just wondering if I was crazy for accepting an news writing/Web video editing gig. I don't think I'll stick with news for more than a few years, but I news writing as only helping me for better gigs down the road.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Do Sports Writers Start Small?

Q. I'm a 22-year-old college senior and will be graduating in May. My major is communication arts, with an emphasis in writing, but my focus is journalism. When I chose my school, I was a history/education major, but switched to journalism in the middle of sophomore year. As a result, I am pursuing a journalism career in a school that doesn't have a strong program.

I have some good experience on my resume -- an internship at a local daily, a year as sports editor for the weekly school newspaper -- but now that I am doing independent reading about writing and journalism, I'm realizing that my clips might lack elements of good journalism, making them not that special.

My interest is in sports reporting. With the little background I have given you, what do you think I should be looking for as far as my first job? Am I going to need to start somewhere small until I can build up some solid clips?

On Deck

A. Yes, you will likely have to start somewhere small. Most people do.

But your advancement will depend far more on how special you become than on what you're doing in school. I wouldn't worry about that.

I periodically ask our editors, "Who is your next hire?" Some don't understand why I am asking if they have no openings.

Our sports editor, Gene Myers, gets it. He says, "That's not going to be a problem, Joe. My problem will be choosing among all the great people I've been reading."

He's always on the lookout -- but he's looking for that X factor. If you want to make it, you have to develop that something extra, that something special -- something other people will have a hard time reaching because they just don't have that talent.

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=77

5. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Completely. Agree.

I'm at a spot in my short career (4 years in June) where I'm already the managing editor at an 8K daily. Pay's not terrific, but the experience managerially (word?) that I'm getting is terrific.

My current shop is the fourth overall, and at two of those places, I did both sports and news. IMHO, employers like someone who can cover a school board meeting and then turn around the next day to cover a high school baseball game.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Some do, but personally most of the editors I know like to have paper clips, or at e-mailed from an archive... Nothing too fancy.
    I'm getting a chance to sit in on interviews for a position at my shop now, and I like to see the clips.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

What tomas is really saying is that many SEs and MEs are real busy, especially now that spring sports seasons are really in full force. That's the nice way of saying it.

[blue]tom, we're trying to keep the newbies interested in journalism, not keep them out![/blue]

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

It can't hurt to build up BOTH the electronic and physical files. Got a clip? Cut it out of the paper and preserve it. Then make a PDF copy of either the page it appeared on or the website printout. Get in the habit of archiving each and every thing you do both electronically and with physical files.

Anyone who needs help creating or managing PDF files is welcome to PM me for tips.

9. I am graduating next week with a journalism degree and history minor. I have been a sports reporter for five years and today received a call about an opening for a news reporter. What should I do? I consider myself a reporter and love to write.
    Also, I have sent out stuff and still have not heard back from two I thought I would be qualified for. Should I send an e-mail to see what the scoop is. I feel like I deserve an answer (I'm not mad, just curious)

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Take it. Be as diverse as possible.

11. goldy220

goldy220 New Member

I'm graduating next month and took a job as a news reporter rather than sports, which I've been doing the last two years. The fact that the job required zero relocation and that sports jobs seem impossible to find in my area made it an easy decision.

12. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I have had my email cluttered with emails from new grads and former interns looking for work. Some are pretty good.

Am I wrong to tell them to find other jobs? I just can't give younger (I am still young) guys a false sense that it is getting better.

Two things to consider:

1. You have to be willing to move. I can't move (wife,kid), so I am stuck at a 40,000 circ. That's bad news for a young buck who would love my job. The industry is riddled with guys like me who are qualified "to move up" but the timing doesn't work. If you limit where you want to live it is hard to find a springboard or even good entry level gig.

2. Understand that last year a ton of people graduated too, and a ton graduated two years ago. Also, consider the layoffs and buyouts, the talent pool is rich. Even some jobs that would seem as good start out places are hiring guys with 6-7 years experience because the job market is dead. That drives down salaries even more. I had a job interview at a place that was panned on the job board and I found out there were over 200 applicants (and the pay was $10,000 higher than what everyone thought). I thought I was hands down the most experienced guy/gal going for the position. I wasn't even close.

That's a lesson for all you new grads. Go to grad school. If I didn't have these damn bills and responsibilities I would be gone.

That said, nothing beats being a sportswriter on a good day.

Draft saved Draft deleted