1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job hunt questions for upcoming grads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Never too early.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I started sending out stuff in January. You never know if a place has a hiring freeze in place and it's about to open when you need a job. The worst that can happen is hearing a no or nothing.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Here's one...

Employers are always asking for salary requirements.

How do you go about this?

I don't want to go too high and put myself out of the running, or too low and get less money than I could be getting.

4. I always put negotiable until I'm actually sitting in the interview with them or speaking with them after the interview.

5. Sawker

Sawker New Member

Definitely be proactive and flexible in your search.

Don't wait for a job to be posted on journalismjobs.com to send in your resume.

The way I broke into the business was by doing freelance assignments that nobody else wanted, such as soccer.

And ignore all the people telling you not to foot the bill for your interview. I would hitchhike 1,000 miles for the right job. If you have the same sense of entitlement that some of these folks do, you'll find yourself fortunate to be covering preps for the the rest of your life.

The worst employer I ever had paid for my flight, meals, car and hotel. Spending big to recruit you doesn't mean shit once you've been hired.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's not entitlement. It's professionalism.

I'd do anything for the right job, too -- for my last job, I moved 2,500 miles away and didn't receive a dime for it. But I also was spending money after I knew I had the job, and it was worth it to me. I don't regret it for a second.

You're a sucker to spend your own money on an interview. All that says is you don't think you have any leverage in this process whatsoever, and you're happy to eat shit for nothing if they ask you to. It's not entitlement to expect a bare minimum of professionalism in the interview process.

7. Sawker

Sawker New Member

They already have a figure in mind and they aren't going to go much above or below it for a rookie reporter.

Try to reassure them that if you feel the job is a good fit, money shouldn't be an issue. And it really shouldn't.

Your first job or three in this business should be all about lining yourself up for the future. Sacrifice a few thousand a year if it gets you on the right beat.

8. Sawker

Sawker New Member

I knew I'd get quick response for that post. :)

With all due respect, if I limited my career to employers willing to pay for my interview, I would be stuck in the shittiest job I ever had.

I would definitely have an informal telephone interview before booking a flight. If they know you are flying in on your own dime, they will stop the process right there, if they don't like you.

And no, you don't have any leverage when you are trying to break into this business. My posts should be looked at in that context.

9. spud

spud Member

Well right. As dumb as it sounds to me now, I sent out an app to a paper last September with reasonable expectations of being hired. That's not really the issue. I just want to know how soon these places are looking to hire after posting the want ad. I'm going to apply anyway, but I'd like to know if I should be expecting any kind of serious interest before I'm a few weeks from graduation.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Some are looking at filling a spot immediately. Others will wait. I sent out a clip packet for a job that was open in January and just had a phone interview this past week. I didn't get the position in the end.

So the answer is that it depends on the place and you can't really tell from most ads as to when they want to fill a spot. Another answer is that a paper already filled the position and are just posting an opening to fulfill some HR policy.

11. bake1234

bake1234 Member

Background: I'm just finishing up at a big-name J school, and I'll graduate in June. I've had internships since freshman year (including two at metros with circ. 150,000+), and I've got summer and fall internships after graduatino at another two metros. I've also got some experience on the news side and with online stuff.

Questions:
    1. What's a realistic first job for me? Is preps beat at a metro paper out of my league? College beat at a suburban paper? Or should I be looking for/expecting, say, preps at a daily with circ. <50,000?

2. What's a realistic range of starting salaries, from all of you who are in the field?

Thanks!

12. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Over 20,000 flying in? Wow. I wonder what the climate is now.

Draft saved Draft deleted