1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job hunt questions for upcoming grads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Mar 30, 2008.

1. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Thanks for the advice, everyone. My thinking with the Web site was that it would show that I have some sort of experience with that kind of stuff. Figured it couldn't hurt, and I wasn't thinking of the Web site as a straight substitute for the resume/cover letter, but maybe I could include a link to it in the hard copy material.

One more. Do papers generally help with any sort of relocation costs? I'm trying not to come off as a Gen Y whiner, but I'm curious. Is it something that's out of the question (especially with today's economy), or will some papers do it? I'm trying to figure out how much money I need to save before making a move after graduation.

2. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

My paper didn't, but on the other hand, they interviewed me and one other person who were both able to make the drive in a day, rather than flying us out to them.

I applied to a zillion papers a few months ago and only got callbacks from the places that were within a few hours driving distance, even when I saw other places had openings. Just my experience.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I got my move paid for. It was halfway across the country. The company paid for a truck, gas for the truck and van, and two nights in a hotel.

At first, it was capped, but when I got back, I was told just to claim everything and turn in receipts.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

go buy a fucking lemon and send me the receipt. i'll send you the money,

5. jps

jps Active Member

I got a flat-rate check sent beforehand to move cross country. just depends on one, the paper and it's cheapness and, two, how badly said paper wants you. my place doubled the normal cap for moving expenses. if they want you, they'll pay for you. even in this market -- at the places you want to work, at least.

but I've also been a few places that either didn't pay or paid on the cheap, essentially helping with gas. which is indicative of why I am no longer at those shops.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Since the '08 graduating season is pretty much over, I'm going to un-sticky this. We can fire it up again early next year if new grads want info.

Draft saved Draft deleted