1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job fair at Braves Stadium Saturday, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mitch21, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

This Saturday the Braves are hosting a career fair from 12-4pm. I found it on the mlb.com job fair board and the description says it is a "sports industry" career fair and lists a host of teams that will be there as well as some radio stations and some other media outlets. I live in Tallahassee (about 4hrs away) and don't exactly have much money, so if it is going to be a waste of my time I don't want to make the trip.

My question is, would this be the type of thing an aspiring sports journalist(as well as a person looking to get into sports radio) should attend? I know teams have writers and what not and it does say there will be a radio station or two there, however, I'm not looking to get in to the business or production aspect of it.

Anyways, this might not deserve its own thread, but because I just discovered it today, I'm short on time and need some advice...and I know this is the place to ask...Thanks!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mascots need a start too. Look at what it did for Loopy...

3. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

sweet.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

threadjack, sorta: i've always wondered whether the job fair put on at the baseball winter meetings is worth the registration cost, much less the hotel and flight cost to get there. anyone no others who actually got decent jobs in media relations that way?

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i've been out of the journalism business for a few years but i think i can safely say that not a single sports editor will be attending this job fair. it just doesn't work that way. you need a sports writer, you post it on line and/or call other sports editors for recommendations.

the only job fairs journalists attend are for minority journalists.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I went to this type of team job fair one time and all I got out of it was a handful of pens, which was fine because I was a waitress at the time and extra pens were useful.

If you want to be a ticket-taker, go to this job fair. If you want to stand in really long lines just so you can hand an employed ticket-taker your resume, go to this job fair. If you want a job, find other ways to network or search out job postings.

7. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

well i do love pens.

The job fair cost of 25dollars includes a ticket to the Braves Marlins game later that day...

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

These are more marketing and public relations jobs. No way a newspaper goes to these things unless it is to find advertising grunts.

Why not go though? You could get lucky and it's major league baseball.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If you want to get into sales, find an internship, or get the occassional PR job in a piece of shit town offering 17k a year for 15-hour days, 7-days a week, it's for you. If you like sitting around a room for 10 hours at a time talking with people you've never seen before, and you may find it worth the few hundred bucks.

Otherwise, it's not.

10. Soccer15211

Soccer15211 New Member

I went to one of these things...I ended up getting a job with merchandising for an NFL team. I wanted to slit my throat before the end of the first day.

If you're looking for a good job, you're not going to find one at one of these sports career fairs. Unless you're rich or well-endowed (large-breasted woman).

11. Mitch21

Mitch21 Member

appreciate the input everyone, I will probably sit this one out and continue my hunt as I have been doing searching for open newspaper positions. No need to waste what little money I have on free pens and a Marlins@Braves game.

But when you are fresh out of college and see something like this you probably get more excited than necessary(aka me.)

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good luck, Skinsnoles.

There must be some way though for a sports fan in Tallahassee to get into the fast track in sports journalism.

If only I could think of a way. ...

Draft saved Draft deleted