1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job cuts at Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NatureBoy, May 1, 2007.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have seen that first hand at my place.

Twenty years ago we had one major league team . . . and oftentimes did a lot of offbeat things. We even sent a reporter to the Goodwill Games in Moscow.

Today we have four major league teams . . . and almost double the number of high schools . . . and once all the staples are covered --- combined with the space cuts forced by the bean counters --- there isn't any room left for fun.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Wow. If he's really leaving, that's not fat-trimming. That's a huge part of their sports section.

Calling Buchalter a legend is dead on, BTW.

And I'd think he'd be a buyout candidate, rather than a layoff guy. Either way, it's a big loss for the Sentinel and Sentinel readers.

3. Orlando is seeking buyouts first. It's the usual deal; if it doesn't get enough volunteers, it will turn to what corporate staff likes to call "involuntary separation."

4. credroc

credroc Member

Sorry, should've been better with the specs. Buchalter is taking the buyout from what I hear.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

5-mile Bill?

Good for him.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i wish these folks the best in rejoining the work force.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I could assemble one of the best staffs in the country with some of the guys who have been the victim of cutbacks or were bought out recently...

Draft saved Draft deleted