1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job covering Division I hoops at The Times of Northwest Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hwkcrz1, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

This shop makes Nike workers overseas look like they're skating.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Dear Justin:

Why does your paper enforce draconian rules and hire part-timers to cover Division I sports?

Sincerely,

DyePack

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Lafayette and the Times both have SJ-related firings in the last couple of years.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is Eddie Munster a copy boy there?

Damn this looks familiar.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The successful candidate will have a minimum of journalistic experience? I guess that means the unsuccessful candidate might know what the hell he/she is doing.

6. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

The following position is still open. If you have interest, please contact me.

Thank you.

Justin Breen
    jbreen@nwitimes.com

Sports Writing Position

The Times of Northwest Indiana, a 90,000+ circulation located 30 miles from the downtown Chicago area, has an opening for a part-time Sports Writer. This highly-motivated, creative writer will cover local sporting activity at our Porter County office. This possibly includes covering Valparaiso University's Division I men's and women's basketball teams.

The successful candidate will have a broad range of knowledge in the area of sports with a minimum of journalistic experience; willing to learn more about the field. Applicants should be able to write, report, complete research and be familiar with computers. Strong time management and organizational skills, including the ability to accurately gauge project duration, deliver on deadlines, and manage a workload with possible conflicting priorities would be helpful.

We offer competitive compensation, an excellent benefits package, and a great working environment. Interested candidates may apply in person or send a cover letter and resume to:

Human Resources
    Job Code: PoCoSports
    The Times
    601 – 45th Avenue
    Munster, IN 46321

Email: timesjobs@nwitimes.com

Equal Opportunity Employer

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Still part-time covering Division I teams, and the season already has started. Still asking for a minimum of journalistic experience.

Same old Times.

8. Go State

Go State Member

And be careful, if you have a couple of speeding tickets within the last three years, you won't get the job that pays no money anyway. They review your driving record. So every time you speed remember this: getting caught means you won't be able to work for The Times of Northwest Indiana -- whether you're a hack or have won a Pulitzer.

You're right, DyePack -- same old Times.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

Justin:

I have a question.

Why is this a part-time position? I think that is something which needs to be answered. I have seen places where they list the hours as one or two below the number where you have to give somebody benefits - so you get a job which is 25 hours and then a sports editor expects you to work a lot more ("That's what you have to do to succeed in the business and compete") and you end up with a job with no benefits, donating hours to a newspaper corporation, and end up with no chance of going full-time because you were already doing the job.

If you are going to post this on this board to this community, I think you need to answer the question.

10. There's a nice wooden nickel in it for you if he actually answers it.

11. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

The job is up to 39 hours per week. It does include benefits. There are definitely chances to move up within the organization. Thank you.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

You didn't answer the question. Why is this a part-time job and not a full-time job? I think you owe this community more respect and a straight answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted