1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job covering Division I hoops at The Times of Northwest Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by hwkcrz1, Oct 26, 2006.

1. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

The Times of Northwest Indiana, a 90,000+ circulation located 30 miles from the downtown Chicago area, has an opening for a part-time Sports Writer. This highly-motivated, creative writer will cover local sporting activity at our Porter County office. This possibly includes covering Valparaiso University's Division I men's and women's basketball teams.

The successful candidate will have a broad range of knowledge in the area of sports with a minimum of journalistic experience; willing to learn more about the field. Applicants should be able to write, report, complete research and be familiar with computers. Strong time management and organizational skills, including the ability to accurately gauge project duration, deliver on deadlines, and manage a workload with possible conflicting priorities would be helpful.

We offer competitive compensation, an excellent benefits package, and a great working environment. Interested candidates may apply in person or send a cover letter and resume to:

Human Resources
    Job Code: PoCoSports
    The Times
    601 – 45th Avenue
    Munster, IN 46321

Email: timesjobs@nwitimes.com

Equal Opportunity Employer

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Did I read that right? Part-time? To cover a men's AND women's Div. I team?

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Well, this job <i>possibly</i> covers those teams, Hank.

Like, the Tigers will possibly win the World Series.

Not likely, but still possible. :)

4. Sounds like they're advertising for a stringer. Can that be right?

5. Hank_Scorpio

But they mention benefits in the ad.

And fmrsped, you're dead to me. Dead. :D ;)

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Sort of what I was thinking.
    "Um, we'd like you to cover this. But honestly, we haven't figured out if they are local enough for our publisher."

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

The JRC bought the Times of NW Indiana?

Oh and if previous buzz about this paper on the board is true, chances of you covering Valpo are pretty slim. Apparently, local means all preps. Yay preps!

8. Hank_Scorpio

Maybe that's why they are looking for a part-timer to do Valpo, so their fulltime guys can be ALL LOCAL, ALL THE TIME.

And if you do get this job, don't let the editors find out that you surf SportsJournalists.com. That's a fireable offense here (at least I think this is the paper).

9. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

If you have further questions about this job, feel free to send me an e-mail.

Thank you.

Justin Breen, Times Sports Editor
    jbreen@nwitimes.com

10. Hank_Scorpio

It's kinda funny that a paper that fired someone for posting on SportsJournalists.com would come to that same site to advertise a job listing.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does that qualify as irony? :D

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thought that was another paper in Indiana.

Draft saved Draft deleted