1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job at Pioneer Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HoosierLoser, May 2, 2006.

1. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Position Summary:

Work a variety of roles on the sports desk, including copy editor, layout to news editor, backup Sunday editor, and special section editor.

Major Functions:

1. Use judgment and discretion to edit copy, write headlines and cutlines, and provide refers to and for other sections when necessary.
    2. Communicate with writers when major changes are needed to local copy.
    3. Put together roundups.
    4. Scan wires when working as wire editor.
    5. Read page proofs.
    6. Paginate pages.
    7. Work layout shifts, which can include daily, Sunday and special sections.
    8. Serve as sports news editor when necessary, helping oversee the copy desk.

Education:

Four-year college degree preferred.

Experience:

One to three years' experience preferred.

Skills:

1. Strong knowledge of grammar, spelling and AP style.
    2. Use skill and judgment to ensure accuracy of news content.
    3. Ability to write compelling yet professional headlines and cutlines.
    4. Excellent communication skills.
    5. Pagination.
    6. Ability to lay out creative pages within the style rules set forth by the newspaper.
    7. Flexibility to adapt to different roles on the desk.
    8. Ability to edit copy quickly and make key decisions on the fly.

Decision Making:

Must be willing to make quick decisions that reflect the direction set forth by the department and the newspaper. Use skill and discretion to shape news content for maximum appeal/interest to readers. Use independent discretion to edit stories to protect the newspaper against legal liability.

Requirements:

Successful completion of a background screen including a consumer report/investigative consumer report.

Mike Bass
    Senior Editor/Sports
    St. Paul Pioneer Press
    345 Cedar St.
    St. Paul, MN 55101

Position was posted April 6 on apse.dallasnews.com.

I think this is the third opening in the past year at the Pioneer Press. What's up in St. Paul?

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/25131/

The sale by Knight Ridder, then by McClatchy to Singleton, probably had people fleeing more than usual.

3. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

I read about the buyout and I'm sure the full effects won't be felt for a few more months.

I applied for the job and haven't heard a peep. Should I assume the job is frozen, someone else got the job or what?

4. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

You can't be serious? One of the top 30 newspapers in the country and we've got three replies -- two of which are by me. What gives? Would I be working for Beelzebub or what?

Always heard good things about the Pi Press but apparently the paper doesn't have the clout it once did.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I hear Pioneer Press still lets staffers get papers for free in the office. Major perk up that way.

6. JHath

JHath Member

I worked for the SE at another paper, and he's a pretty good guy. So no, you wouldn't be working for Beelzebub. I even applied there a year or two back when they had an ASE opening, but they went another direction, with no hard feelings. Evidently, the publisher had someone he/she wanted to bring in.

The Twin Cities are a nice place to live, from what I hear, and hopefully, Singleton won't wreck this place.

7. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

Successful completion of a background screen including a consumer report/investigative consumer report.

Is that status quo these days? Why would this be necessary, especially considering that sports writers aren't known for great income?
    I don't see what this has to do with the job.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

From what I understand, fraud-type cases don't always show up on police records (because charges weren't filed) but that type of thing can stick to a credit report for a while.

9. donaugust

donaugust Member

I believe the SE was on vacation and they are probably starting to look at candidates.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Knowing absolutely nothing, I would think the resale would explain some of the reticence with regard to interest in this job right this minute, kind of waiting to see how things shake out.

11. beardown

beardown Member

Has anyone heard anything about this job recently?

12. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

Draft saved Draft deleted