1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job application question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sm72, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Good jobs are golden these days.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

nobody has told him to GTFO yet, have they?

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I think you lost 99.99 percent of your readers by thinking they'll know what 2.17 meters is in feet and inches.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

trifectarich - hey, hey, hey, there's no room to be a hateful bastard on this thread.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know about doing it from Day 1. But I would think/hope that any place offering an internship would realize and understand the difference between that position and a regular full-time staff job, and know that the latter is probably the better better option.

If I got a better offer, I wouldn't stay in an internship just for a reference -- especially if there's no at least a somewhat certain prospect that if I did a good job in the internship, I'd have a good shot to stay on, assuming that's what the reporter wanted to do.

I had three pretty long-term internships and one shorter one back in the day. One of them, I turned into, first, an extended internship, and then, a regular full-time staff job, and another, I wished that would have happened -- and it did, years later, though, at the only place I ever truly dreamed about as my ultimate stop. The other two, they were good, I got some good clips and did some good work, but when I got something better, I left, and nobody felt bad, was mad, or would have expected anything else. And the people I worked for in them gave the go-ahead to use them as references if I wanted to. But I never needed to.

6. sm72

sm72 Member

Yeah, I debated that one for a while, actually. When it came down to it, I decided to keep it to how the NCAA does its measurements. I got a bunch of crappy college awards for it, so I guess it worked out. Stuff to put on an early resume, anyway.

Tom, I think you're right about waiting four months at least. I don't want to put these guys in a bad position. It's a pretty big paper with some good writers, and a recommendation would be gold. Hopefully I get to stay on here, but if not their recommendation and the internship in general could go a long way.

7. sm72

sm72 Member

Not sure. They retain more of their interns than I've seen at previous stops, but the sports staff here is locked up tight. I don't mind doing grunt work at all, but I don't think there's even a preps spot open right now. That might change in six months, but I'll broach that topic once I've got a good relationship with the editor.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

s&m,

This internship IS your job application. If you do great work, maybe you get hired there or get a reference from the boss or a coworker.

So bust your butt and do great work. Seek out opportunities. Network.

If you are at a college game, talk to the reporters/SIDs/editors. If you are at a high school game, introduce yourself to any other reporter there.

You want to be known. If someone has a job open they always ask other reporters or editors for a recommendation and you want them to say, "That SM kid interning for Podunk is sharp."

Also, write good stuff. Currently.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

told ya to 86 currently completely from your current vocab, tiger. ; P

Draft saved Draft deleted