1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job application question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sm72, Sep 10, 2012.

1. sm72

sm72 Member

Hello, all.

I'm a recent college grad and currently in the first few weeks of a six-month internship. I'm obviously looking for full-time employment afterward, and there's no guarantee I'll find that where I'm currently at after the internship is over.

My question is, how early should I begin looking into full-time positions? I know the turnaround on apps is usually pretty quick, and I don't want to put the place I'm at in a bind. Also, what would be the best way to approach an editor about a full-time spot post-internship? Any help would be great.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If you find something you really like, go for it. A couple of reasons....

1) Different places move at their own pace. Some positions get filled in a week, others can take a year or more. I received an email this summer in response to a resume that I submitted a year ago. They froze the position and then later decided to hire for a different position. So at least my name was in the hat and they got back to me (even though personal circumstances in the intervening time took me off the market).

2) Most people will understand and appreciate someone looking ahead, especially in an internship position. If an opportunity comes up, cross that bridge when you come to it. You could ask the new person if they will wait a few weeks. Or you could ask you current supervisor to be excused from your current commitment.

Either way, I don't think it's ever too early to apply for something you think is a good fit for you.

3. At least start networking and get a few informational interviews, but wait a month or two before applying.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

stop using the word currently, and it'll be much easier to find a job.

5. sm72

sm72 Member

I don't use it in stories, Tom, just in informal posts on message boards, as I am currently. Maybe you should read some of my stuff and see for yourself. Here's an example: http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=73282

I have more if you want 'em.

6. With that witty retort, any editor would hire you on the spot. Don't even both with Podunk.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

hey, i like you.

8. sm72

sm72 Member

Glad you liked that one. The help is much appreciated, of course.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

let me go coach my daughter's softball practice, and i'll give you some of my time and a lot less snark. and if nobody else has jumped on this thread, i'll go recruit some other opinions for you.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I know this youngster's work.

He gets the Silver Surfer Seal of Approval.

sm72:

Start looking immediately. Never stop looking, throughout your entire career.

But let yourself get settled where you are before you worry about what comes next. Focus on your internship for a couple of months, then start sending out applications that make clear that you are in this internship for the duration. Even if someone else wants to hire you before the internship ends, it's good practice to keep your commitments.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Jesus, when was the last time Tom Petty AND Norrin Radd complimented a newbie (or any poster) in the same thread? Fetch us a few beers, stick around and get those applications out now. It can't hurt.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I think Petty owes us a beer. He was gone so long, he is essentially a newbie now.

Draft saved Draft deleted