1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt L., Aug 31, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Ace will probably be desperate enough to work at The Berkshire Beacon at the rate he's going.

But back on topic and back to Matt: I suggest you read Rosie's post. And again. Two, three times. Jobs are a serious commitment.

Even if you don't see working at a store as directly helping you with journalism, use the experience to teach you about professionalism. You can learn about going to work every day, putting in an honest day's work. Also, each of those positions has pratfalls. Let me put on my hat as a former customer service guy.

You're going to have days when someone walks in who's had a rough day. Perhaps she couldn't find a babysitter for her bratty 3-year-old. Perhaps he got yelled at by his female boss who's younger than his youngest daughter. Perhaps it's someone who's trying to squeeze in a quick grocery shopping trip in between two jobs and dropping one kid off at soccer practice.

Lots of times, those folks are going to take that out on the first convenient target. Sometimes, that convenient target is you. And you may not necessarily have done anything wrong. Don't take that personally.

When you go on breaks, listen to any guidelines your workplace has on breaks. Are you supposed to take a half hour for lunch and two 15-minute breaks? Stick to that. Don't let people blow up your cell phone (if you have one). Only make essential calls that aren't work-related.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Rosie: Your advice was great, but I honestly wonder about a resume. On one hand, it might impress a grocery store/whatnot that a kid this young took the time to put together a resume. On the other, Jaded Joe the manager might just think it's stupid, throw it in the trash and forget about him.

I had both experiences as a teenager/college student. I've worked in joints that realized I wasn't a lifer for "X" business and appreciated my honest effort. And I've worked in joints where I was mocked for going to college and not wanting to spend the rest of my days doing minimum wage work.

All that said, a shitty job as a teenager is an important rite of passage. It teaches you humility, the value of hard work, the satisfaction of a paycheck and how to work well with others who are complete toolboxes...and most of all, it serves as a reminder that you have to do whatever you can to make sure you never ever have to do this again.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

He needs to go with the resume. It doesn't mean he has to actually give it, but if the company wants it, he has it. He can also refer back to it when filling out the job application.

Better to be over-prepared than under-prepared.

Like I said, same exact stuff I've told my own kids.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

And yet BYH ended up as a waiter at a gay strip club. Ironic.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Hell, BYH, you just described my current job ...

Back on topic. Rosie and forever_town have both given you some great advice here, Matt. Good luck.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

well, there's an opening now that mariotti is gone ...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can we cross thread with the not useless obsolete thread?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

The gang misses you. No one orders appletinis anymore.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'll bet that deck is a little bit lonely.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

So's your face.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, yeah.

I hate you.

Draft saved Draft deleted