1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt L., Aug 31, 2008.

1. Matt L.

Matt L. Member

Hey, guys. I just found out that there's not going to be any fall baseball this year because there weren't enough kids that signed up in my age division. So I was thinking about getting a job somewhere. My top three lists are K-Mart, CVS, and Adam's (a grocery store). I'm 16, and I've never had any work experience before. However, I have volunteered about two years ago almost every weekend for about three or four months at a convalescent home where my mom works. I'd like to know if you guys can offer any advice or anything on what type of job to get and whatnot.

I'm looking to be able to have some pocket change, but most importantly this is for helping my mom out. I don't want to go into the details, but my mom has to end up paying for two tuition bills of $30,000 (total of $60K). Basically, my high school bill along with my sister's isn't cheap either, and lunch prices have gone higher again at school, so mostly my money will be going towards my lunch money and to my mom. I was thinking of giving my mom half of my salary if I were to get a job right now.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Get out of here, kid. You're about to get lit up.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

May I ask why you came to the journalism board for this? Seriously though, go to anyplace you think may be a good place to work and ask if they need part-time help. Don't limit yourself to big chains. A mom and pop place could do just fine.

4. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Re: Job Advice

You can get a job at any retail store with absolutely no relevant work experience. Good luck, with whatever happens.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd recommend going to each of the places you're considering applying to and trying to talk to the people who work there. Try to get a sense of what it's like to work there, what things you'll need to know or learn, what the working environment is like there, etc.

I wish you luck wherever you end up working and with your family situation.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

TBF, you're such a cynic.

(But seriously, I got about two sentences in and said out loud, "Oh, no.")

Matt, like people have said, you're not likely to have a hugely different experience at the places you've listed. Out of the three, I'd say working at a grocery store sounds the most interesting -- seems like a lively environment.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll kiss your ass if I'm wrong.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I was going to say the same thing, tbf.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

In my experience here, clueless dumbasses (Pickle Juice) get lit up. The misguided but earnest can tap into the shred of humanity that still exists here.

Of course, I might well be proven wrong.

10. Giggity

Giggity Member

Don't see how you can rip the kid - he's trying to help his mom out.

11. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Fuck you, Arnold, for suggesting we have humanity.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted