1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job ad: 'You can't beat the quality of life.'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FleetFeet, Jul 25, 2011.

1. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1272092

The Coeur d'Alene (Idaho) Press, a 20,000-circulation daily in one of the most beautiful cities in America, is seeking a reporter/feature writer who wields a wicked camera, too. We have an immediate opening for weekend reporter. Duties include covering spot news, writing features, managing obits, and taking photos. Ideal job for someone with weekly newspaper experience ready to move up to a daily. Pay is only $12/hour, but we have a solid benefits package and you can't beat the quality of life here.

Please send a brief cover letter, resume and several samples of your work to: Mike Patrick, managing editor, Coeur d'Alene Press, 201 Second St., Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, 83814 or mpatrick@cdapress.com. No phone calls please.

Please send a brief cover letter, resume and several samples of your work to: Mike Patrick, managing editor, Coeur d'Alene Press, 201 Second St., Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, 83814 or mpatrick@cdapress.com. No phone calls please.

----

While the quality of life in Coeur d'Alene can't be beaten, for $12 my guess is it can not be enjoyed all that much, either.

2. $12*40*52= $24,960/year

Not defending low-paying jobs, but that's probably not drastically lower than many other small papers. And at least they're honest about it up front.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Can't beat the quality of life usually means can't afford the quality of life.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That actually isn't a bad place - close enough to Spokane, you can always hang with Jake Plummer...just be sure that it is full-time. Weekend reporter? Of course, if it is just a part-time gig, you can probably get a real job that pays a living wage during the week.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

/pines for $12 an hour

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Coeur d'Alene was the first "major" full-time newspaper job of somebody you probably have heard of: T.J. Simers.

7. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Yeah, but things like hiking boots (or even sneakers), sunscreen and a water bottle cost money. Money that, if you're making $24K, might be a luxury.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Uh ... anyone who wants to know about this one, PM me.

And I'll attest to this region's quality of life ... despite the low pay.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Jesus, that is only 1.75 more than minimum wage in my area.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a full time gig.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I make less in a place with a much higher cost of living.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

i m astonished.

Draft saved Draft deleted