1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joaquin Phoenix retiring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Give it a year... He'll be back.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Do actors/singers/entertainers ever truly retire, or do they just go away for a while?

Sean Connery was retired after The League of Extraordinary League of Gentlemen in 2003, but now he is supposedly coming back to do a film with Orlando Bloom.

Kevin Connelly reportedly was going to retire from acting, but then he joined the Entourage cast.

Jay-Z retired in 2003, and then put out Kingdom Come in 2006.

Hell, Jackie Earle Haley (Kelly from the original Bad News Bears) had totally disappeared, didn't do anything from 1993 until 2006. Now, according to IMDB, he's got eight acting credits since his comeback began.

How many musicians have done multiple farewell tours? I doubt Phoenix has taken his final acting job, regardless of what he announces.

3. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

There is no job on the planet that pays as much for as little work than an A-List film actor. He'll be back when the money starts to run low.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If he didn't blow it, he probably never has to work a day in his life again.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Was he in The Client?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Turning over a new Leaf? ;)

I'm waiting for Chris (Tanner Boyle) Barnes to make a comeback.

7. harbinger

harbinger Member

I judge actors by how well they handle a variety of roles. The thing that most impressed me about Phoenix was his work in Gladiator. He was convincingly creepy, which I think is hard to do.

Meryl Streep, who can handle any role, pulled that off well in the Manchurian Candidate. For an actor as well known and well liked as her to come off as not only detestable, but downright creepy, is pretty impressive.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hear he's going to try out at QB for the Lions tomorrow.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You must love Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Who doesn't?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He just comes off as creepy in every movie. I nearly couldn't finish Match Point because of him. Yikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted