1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JMU journalism students face trespassing charges

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 27, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They have them in Michigan.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's wrong, then.

FYI, there are three unsolved murders of Va Tech students in the last few months.

I have a bad feeling about this.

3. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

When I started at JMU 10 years ago, you needed to swipe a card to get into a dorm.

Honestly, I would have expected better out of writers from The Breeze. It's a lesson learned, but I'm surprised this made it this far...

I know something about trespassing in Sonner Hall, which for those who don't know, is the welcome center. My friends and I every once and a good while, when we lived on campus, would sit out on the back deck overlooking Newman Lake and smoke cigars, knock back a few, and listen to good music. No one ever charged us with trespassing!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Link?

5. 93Devil

http://findmorgan.com/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569141,00.html

http://www.roanoke.com/223990

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I thought you meant on-campus, or very close by.

7. 93Devil

The campers were off campus and the other was attending a concert at UVA, but the police have nothing (I think).

The fact that they have nothing, makes me thing a single, crazy, efficient killer.

I just have an uneasy feeling.

8. Are we perhaps missing the point here? Is the university trying to muzzle coverage of a news story that depicts it in a dangerous or embarrassing light? Otherwise, why so heavyhanded a response?

9. 93Devil

No, Va Tech would not dare make a wrong move in all of this after the way shootings were handled.

I just think these two deaths have a common thread.

10. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I'm a former Breeze editor in chief. The JMU higher-ups have never been a fan of the paper because they can't control it. I don't know the circumstances behind the incident, but you'd think the university would work with the paper to help find the peeping tom.

With that said, if the two reporters were asked to leave, they should have done so. They could have easily just waited outside the front door of the dorms to ask residents as they entered or left the building. Not smart on their part.

On another note, there were peeping toms when I was a student there. Mr. Sonner was in the area at the time. Now they are back. Now he is back in the region. Coincidence?? :eek:

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What's wrong about it? When I was in college dorms were open between 6 a.m. and midnight. There was one dorm that you always had to scan an ID to get into. It was in the testing phase. It was safe to me.

12. 93Devil

So a homless man can walk into a dorm and fall asleep right outside your front door? The door from your room would lead into an enclosed hallway, right?

In this day and age, more security can be provided.

Draft saved Draft deleted