1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JJ Busted

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stupid, Jun 13, 2006.

1. good thing he doesn't play lacrosse because nifong, jesse jackson and a few politically correct journalists would use this as proof of how lawless those lacrosse players are.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Today is a good day.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was in court contesting a traffic citation once when one of the cases ahead of me involved a roadblock avoidance situation. Seems that the man driving this particular vehicle was drunk, and, realizing he was about to be stopped, pulled down a side road. when the chase car regained sight of him, he and his wife were in the process of switching seats, so she could drive. They were trying to do it without exiting the car, so one was on top of the other when the cop arrived. Never mind the 20 or so empty beer cans in the back, or the fact that she had a suspended license. Oops.

A_F, which Atlanta Hawks are you talking about? the ones actually in, you know, Atlanta, were on the bottom side of mediocre even after they snapped their season-opening losing streak.

4. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

NW - perspective.
    15-25 over the last 40 games
    started 11-31

World beaters? Of course not. Showed improvement? I thought so.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

15 wins in 40 games is a "pretty good" team? Maybe if you write for the Hawks official website it is.

I'm sure the Royals' record will show improvement over their next 50-odd games. I don't think they will qualify as pretty good.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

For the record, the phrase in question was "pretty darn good." Which the Hawks haven't sniffed in quite some time. I think the definition for said phrase has to start at one game over .500.

7. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

It's rescinded. The Hawks were shit. I was wrong (although I'd like to see the initial post about the Hawks - my two picks were the Knicks and Warriors. And i've paid my one week's penance for the incorrect Knicks bet).

8. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

Ha ha! Sorry, Backne Boy! ;D ;D ;D I hate that guy.

9. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Chaser cops? Really?

Here they publish the exact location of the checkpoint in every local rag and on the TV news several days before. They also only set them up at places that allow you to turn and take an alternate route when you see one.

Maybe they just figure you'd have to be really hammered to go through it when they give you the option of ducking it. But the idea of chaser cops sounds ridiculous to me. Checkpoints are optional, and how are you going to try to stop every car that avoids one? You'd be stopping a lot of sober people who don't want to get backed up in traffic.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Oh boy ... as if the lacrosse team wasn't embarrassing enough.

My mother will never show her face again around Durham at this rate ... :'(

11. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

The system might be different where you live, but checkpoints are definitely not designed to be optional in my experiences. There were definitely chaser cars hanging out in front of the roadblock when I encountered a checkpoint about a month ago.

Ostensibly, the cops might just be making a traffic stop for an illegal U-turn. Or, if you make a legal turn to avoid the checkpoint, but still appear suspicious, the cops could follow you and wait for you to commit a traffic infraction -- or, more likely, manufacture a traffic violation in order to pull you over.

There have been dozens of federal and state court cases that have fleshed out the "rules" of roadblocks. I know in some states there is requirement to have some sort of announcement of the roadblock (I'm not sure if that's a legislative rule, judicial ruling or simply police policy). They also usually have to stop every car OR they must they must have a pre-determined random system (like stopping every tenth car) in order to avoid the appearance of bias.

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Of course, it wasn't showing faces that got those strippers in trouble.

Draft saved Draft deleted