1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JJ Abrams next movie

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Please let it be better than Blair Witch Project.
    Two hours of my life that I will never get back.

2. Nice marketing campaign, but it simply has to be good to make back the nut.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you have a great action flick, no way do you bypass the holidays...

Prediction: This movie will be laughably bad...

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Above, what BYH needs plenty of when ogling the top picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

If the rumors of something along the lines of a $30 million budget are true, it doesn't matter if it's 90 minutes of dead air. They'll still make their money back on opening night off the trailer alone.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ah, BYH. I needed a good laugh.

Ditto on the welcome backs, Arnold!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Wow, really? I totally disagree ... and I normally respect your opinion on movies/movie predictions.

8. Mizzougrad96

The preview looks fantastic, but January is a dumping period for studios to release their garbage films and hope they can squeeze some money out of them before sending them to video... The best you can usually hope for in January is a smaller film that is below the radar to do well like Hostel, which I think was a January release, that made a lot of money.

9. Mizzougrad96

These are the movies that were released this January...

Freedom Writers
    Happily N'Ever After
    Code Name: The Cleaner
    Stomp the Yard
    Alpha Dog
    The Hitcher
    Epic Movie
    Smokin Aces
    Catch and Release

Also, it should be noted that two of the weakest movie weekends of the year are usually the first weekend in February and the middle weekend in January because of the Super Bowl and the NFL playoffs.

My assumption, and I hope I'm wrong, is that Abrams has some bomb on his hands but hopes that with good trailers (definitely check...) and an under the radar release date, he can open big (Hell, Epic Movie made $18 million it's first weekend) and make back his money...

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Medellin syndrome.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If it leaves as many questions up in the air as Lost does, it is going to suck righteous. Great buzz-building technique, but does anyone remember how great of a job they did hyping the latest Godzilla movie? That one sucked for the cycle.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Thinking off the top of my head:

Could Lost's schedule be the reason they're making/releasing the movie in January?

Draft saved Draft deleted