1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jinxing the Big Unit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Aug 9, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And on the other hand,

The beefncheddar family had a quick 2-game trip planned to see my team (the Phillies) and my brother's team (the White Sox) on back-to-back days in 1991. The plan is to drive to Philly and catch Phils-Expos on Saturday game and then catch White Sox-Orioles on the way back to Va. Well, there's rain all along the East Coast, so Dad beefncheddar decided we'll hit Baltimore on Saturday and catch the Phils on Sunday and just do a longer drive home on Monday. No problem.

Except that decision meant we weren't in the seats for Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter. And it didn't rain in either city either day.

Fuck.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

EAT SHIT BIG UNIT! NO REMAKES FOR ME!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Kyle Farnsworth = choking dog.

And for the love of all that is holy, could someone please pull Paul O'Neill out of that broadcast booth and givce him a one-way ticket back to Ohio? Last inning, he's blathering on about how the Sox are done if they can't come back with a huge inning in the seventh. Then earlier this inning he's prattling on about how the broadcasters have to come up with something to talk about to fill time during the blowout.

He also said good offensive teams can beat up on poor middle relief. No shit. He added that teams like the Yankees and Red Sox have good middle relief.

Of course, then the Yankees implode and the Red Sox are about to do the same after Josh Beckett leaves with a one-run lead after six.

Paul, you suck. Go topple a water cooler.

Note: Hey, ARod has the game-winning RBI!  :D

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Damn, buck, I have a story a lot like it.

Driving home from the East Coast, stop in Chicago where my dad is in on business. We decide, off the cuff, to try and get tix to see the Cubs the next day, middle of the week.

Concierge at the hotel gets us, I shit you not, seats about five rows behind home plate. Sweet. Who's in town. Diamondbacks. Say, isn't that where Mark Grace ended up? Has he been back here yet?
    Who's pitching? Randy Johnson? you don't say.

Sat right behind the plate and watched Johnson throw a gem. He went 8, gave up one hit. BK Kim closed allowing another in a 2-0 D-Back win. Gracie got a standing O in his first AB, then singled.

Serendipitous day at the yard, that.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

One of my buddies saw that game. Wasn't that Alvarez' second or third career start?

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Our friends at wikipedia chime in with:

Alvarez's first career start: 2 BBs, single, 2 HRs. 0 outs recorded.
    Alvarez's second career start: No-hitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted