1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jinxing the Big Unit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Johnson's got a no-no through 5. :p

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

You mean a no-hitter?

Noonan.

5 2/3.....

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Through 6.

Edit: And nice job by Ozuna of making old-ass Randy Johnson work there in the sixth. One pitch. One grounder to 2nd. On to the 7th.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Through six...

And I have to root for him. Fuck.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Go Johnson Go.

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

ESPN, please tell the lady laughing into the microphone to shut up.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

And YES Network, please tell Paul O'Neill to have his larnyx removed.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Base. Knock.

Sweet.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Success!!!

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Saving front pages all through the midwest...

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Man, you guys are good at this jinx shit. :D

Anyway, now I can tell my story:

I was at Turner Field on May 18, 2004 -- and yes, I still have both ducats to prove it. Wasn't planning to go, but got an unexpected day off and saw that Unit was pitching against Hampton. I'd never seen Johnson pitch in person before, and I didn't know how long he was going to stick around. Besides, a good matchup always sways me enough to go to an MLB game when I'm a little undecided. I was a pitcher myself, so I love a good duel.

Dragged the live-in down to Atlanta with me, and we got tickets out in left field. Usually, I like to sneak into the box seats around the sixth inning or so, once the crowd starts to thin out, but because I had an eye on the scoreboard, I didn't even think about moving this time. Meanwhile, the girl's trying to throw me off my superstitions and I'm getting pretty pissed.

"So the Braves are sucking it up tonight, huh? They don't have a hit yet, right?"
    "Right. Shut up about it, OK?"

But around the eighth inning, you can feel the buzz in the air. She's getting into it, too, and finally quits trying to jinx it. And nobody around us is trying to jinx it, either. Hell, we're giving Unit a huge ovation for each one of the final six outs. Crowd just explodes in the ninth: DeRosa's groundout, then Nick Green strikes out and then Eddie Perez, of course. What a thrill.

Damn, I'm so lucky. Who the hell expects that when you go to a mid-week game in mid-May?

One of my top-5 sports moments ever. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted