1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jimmy Carter battling cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Aug 12, 2015.

1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

True humanitarian and role model. Not a great president. But brokering the Camp David Accords is a singular achievement that should elevate him in history. And if you read the "Crisis of Confidence" speech today -- regardless of how poorly received it was at the time -- it's wonderfully written and spot-on. It was a message that Americans needed to hear but just didn't want to. If I'd been old enough to vote in 1980, I'm sure I would have voted for Reagan. But I always wonder what kinds of lessons Carter might have learned from his first term and wonder what a second Carter term might have been like and how things might have been today. Very sad to hear this news. Hopefully he won't endure too much suffering.

SFIND likes this.
  2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't want to get to political but I think Reagan justly receives a lot of credit for bringing inflation under control. I think a lot of that is because Volcker is the greatest Fed Chair of all time.

Carter made a huge mistake when he appointed his first Fed chairman, a businessman named Miller. Carter eased Miller out of the Fed by making him Treasury Secretary. When Carter interviewed replacements Volcker told him that he would stop inflation but may cost you the election. Volcker went home thinking he would never be Fed Chair. Carter to his credit appointed Volcker.

So I think the second term would have seen economic results much like Reagan. Carter would not have built the military up as much as Reagan obviously and not conducted as aggressive a foreign policy.

3. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Why do you feel Reagan justly gets credit if Volcker, a Carter appointee, is responsible?

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Senior Reagan advisers were unhappy that interest rates went so high and set up two meetings with Reagan where Volcker was going to be told to cut interest rates. In the meetings Reagan did not press Volcker on the issues. I don't know if that was because Reagan agreed with Volcker or because Reagan was so adverse to face to face confrontations and backed off. I don't think anyone ever know.

But the Reagan administration took a lot of pain because Volcker kept interest rates so high for so long to strangle inflation. Volcker also credited Reagan with busting the air traffic controllers union, which he said changed inflationary expectations of the unions and the country and was very important to reducing inflation.

So I give Reagan credit but Volcker was a tremendous gift from Carter. I also think that if Volcker, who had been on the short list for the Fed Chair at the beginning of the Carter presidency, had been selected then Carter would have had a second term.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

6. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As happy as I am for him, I'm sure he's even happier that the experimental drug shows promise for others.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Waiting for Ted Cruz to reference Carter in negative fashion just as he did when Carter was diagnosed with cancer. 3, 2, 1, ...

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I was curious about why a 28-year-old would die suddenly, and I happened upon this crushing and beautifully written picture of grief by the young man's brother:

Rest in Peace dear brother Jeremy. I love you. – JC Woodworking

Apparently he had not been feeling well, Emory University gave him the once-over and prescribed vitamins. So sad.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I sang at a funeral this past Friday for a 27 year old woman who just didn't wake up one morning. Can't even begin to fathom it.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: old timers around here might remember that I'm not a fan of the former president.

I'm pleased that he's doing well health-wise, but appreciating the irony that the drug was developed in Israel.

Draft saved Draft deleted