1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jimmy B vs. Andy Katz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2013/02/jim_boeheim_explains_what_led.html

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

We rip on Boeheim, but candor after a win or a loss is becoming harder to find, and Boehim is candid. Makes our jobs easier.

3. JackS

JackS Member

No, Boeheim has mellowed to some degree. He can still be an A-1 jackass at times, but in the old days that was his 24/7/365 persona.

I would describe him now as "moody." Previously, he had only one mood...bad.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link, Alma. The story explains a lot of it, IMHO.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is the most recent Deadspin post, in which Boeheim explains his comments.

deadspin.com/5984369/jim-boeheim-is-mad-at-andy-katz-because-jim-boeheim-is-an-officious-turd

If Boeheim said he wouldn't talk about the Fine case prior to the interview and Katz continued to pepper him with questions about something he wasn't going to talk about, Boeheim certainly has a right to be pissed off, especially if he made that clear before the interview. The way he paints it, Katz was trying to "gotcha" him, which, if true, again would be reason to be perturbed.

However, not answering Katz's questions in a press conference is unprofessional and childish, and seem to fit his past dealings with some media.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I tend to believe Boeheim's version of the events more than Katz's.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think Boeheim is more full of shit than that cruise ship in the Gulf.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Jimmy B vs. Everybody

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/26/jim-boeheim-flips-out-on-the-media-once-again-after-marquette-loss/1948567/

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Second-guessing coaching decisions is walking a thin line, isn't it?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hate to defend Boeheim on any level, because the guy is an insufferable dick, but he's completely right on the first question.

The second question is a legitimate one, but as Riptide points out, it's one where you're just begging for that kind of a reaction.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's certainly a fine line. It always makes me laugh when I see NFL writers who can barely understand even the most basic coverages ripping players or coaches and handing out blame after they watch a little "film" -- without any knowledge of the play call, of course.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Too much over-analyzing by outsiders, or with the benefit of time. If a coach fucks up, he's the first to know it. Why rub his nose in it? The real experts are playing and coaching the games.

Draft saved Draft deleted